Not Cute, Not Funny, Not Cool

I first saw the Sparkling Wiggles video over at Racialicious, and I’ve been thinking about it all week. In case you haven’t seen it yet, it’s a big hit on CollegeHumor.com, and features an adorable, little blonde white girl being spoon fed lines by her parents. They tell to say these things: “No sparkling wiggles here!” “Get a job, sparkling wiggles!” And when the mother prompts her to say these things, she puts her cell phone up to the kid’s face, to capture the phrase. They titled the video, “What? She said sparkling wiggles. What did you think she said?”

** Edited 13: 45 a.m. Monday June 11: VIDEO REMOVED BY REQUEST OF YOU TUBE POSTER. Click HERE to see it on CollegeHumor.com.

Well, racist parents, we know what you were trying to encourage her to say. And we obviously get where YOU’RE coming from, and that’s all that matters.It’s one thing to grow up and become a racist, and quite another to have your parents teach hate to you from a young age. That’s the way of the KKK, and it explains why the young teenage band Prussian Blue exists. Because parents are teaching their little ones how to hate and discriminate from an early age.

The “racist” tag on College Humor also turned up a clip of Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarves, a notorious 1943 Merrie Melody cartoon I’ve always wanted to see. (I have a fascination with racist cartoons and the whitewashing of that part of history.) I’m pretty sure there were clips of “Coal Black” included in the end montage of Bamboozled, it’s among the Censored Eleven, and is probably the most infamous of the racist cartoons of that era. (It might surprise you to learn that Dorothy Dandridge’s mother and sister played the voices in this cartoon). It’s fascinating to me that once upon a time audiences — parents with their children — probably laughed uproariously at this depiction of black people, complete with oversize lips, gold-teethed “Prince Chawmings,” and shocking references to killing the Japanese. Now it probably won’t even make you crack a smile. I almost didn’t make it all the way through the video, the feelings it stirred up inside me were so strong — despite the cool soundtrack and the fact that this cartoon was reportedly intended as a loving homage to the then-thriving jazz scene.

Perhaps someday, people will feel like that about the “Sparkling Wiggles” video, too — perhaps someday it won’t make people laugh and share it with their friends as a humorous clip. Right now, the response seems to be sharply divided, and judging from some of the responses on YouTube, many people are skewing to the “black people are oversensitive hypocrites” side of the fence. And HOLD UP — yes, this is a disgusting blackface response to the video.

It’s crazy to me that so many people summarize this by saying, “It’s just a joke, people lighten up.” Kids mispronouncing words is often funny, but the whole crux of this matter is the parents. They fed her lines that reveal their line of thinking, filmed the whole thing, and shared it with the world. The comments on sites like Ebaums World to this video reveal the underpinnings of that message: “I hope my kid is exactly like her,” “I can’t wait to have a little sparkling wiggles hater myself someday,” and it just gets worse and worse from there.

I think the Avenue Q song is right — Everyone’s a Little Bit Racist. Myself included, apparently. I just did the Project Implicit test, which is a Harvard run study that “blends basic research and educational outreach in a virtual laboratory at which visitors can examine their own hidden biases.” It’s a way to kind of test how racist you are, and in what way exactly. I find the concept fascinating.

After doing the Skin Tone demonstration, I got this response: “Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Dark Skin compared to Light Skin.”

I know when I have kids, I’d never foster the kind of thoughts that the Sparkling Wiggles parents have. I’m going to raise my children to celebrate their heritage and be proud of who they are, but I also plan to encourage them to live that Sesame Street dream that I did, by having friends of many different ethnicities. I’d like to keep my children’s minds wide open for as long as possible, rather than foster prejudice when they’re not even old enough to clearly state — or have — an opinion of their own. What do you think about this issue, bellas and fellas?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. The issue is absolutley not with the child. The parents are at issue here. “Say Get A Job…sparkling wiggles?” Come on.

For the people that can’t see why black people are sensitive….shame on you. Check your history. As Public Enemy said years ago…”I have right to be hostile, my people are being persecuted.”

Her parents probably think it’s cool cause they have “black” friends. *sigh*

2. Unfortunately, I can’t say I’m shocked. I don’t find the clip cute nor funny at all. Yes, kids will mispronounce words, but when parents hear the mistake, you are suppose to correct it. These parents so obviously did not… hence you can conclude there are racist undertones in that posted clip. I guess having grown up in the Midwest (which at times is still is very pre Civil Right era), I am not surprised. Even in 2007, you would think there would be much more racial harmony within this country… but it continues to still have those pockets that will and shall always be racist towards those that “just don’t look like me”.

3. islandgirl550 says:

Bella, Bella, Bella! Gurl… did you check some of the video responses? OMG!!! Blackface and pronouced lips. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsl99KJW00. I just get so tired of this.

4. And now, sadly, it looks like “sparkling wiggles” has become the new favorite expression among CollegeHumor commenters… and has revealed a tragic underlying racism.
    Some comments on the video:
    “that sparkling wiggle ain’t mah baby-daddy”
    “sparkling wiggles stole my car.”
    “sparling wiggles are so lazy”
    “watching out, he goes to howard…he’s definitely a sparkling wiggle”

…wow.

5. XcentricPryncess says:

Generational ignorance…..Ignorance passed down through generations of elitist, usually European people….The way that white women looooovvveeee them some black man…that little blonde white thing will be dating a sparkling wiggle during her teenage years…ask Genarlow Wilson…

6. Bebroma says:

How terrible to use your own child’s innocence to further hate. Watching it makes me weary. I think it sounds much more like what she obviously heard someone say than “sparkling wiggles”.

7. I am so disturbed right now seriously.

8. Mona B. says:

Three things disturb me about this clip. 1-The parents think it’s OK to teach this mess to their kid (she’s gotta go to school one day!). 2-So many other people find this humorous. 3-There are people who still think that we’re OVERREACTING to the blatant racism in the media, everyday life, etc.

9. Here’s the true test….would they be comfortable doing exactly what they did with a black person in the room? Hmmmm.

10. joli201 says:

my heart hurts. I looked at the sparkling wiggles video and her mouth doesn’t look like shes trying to say “sparkling wiggles”

11. Hi Bella,
    this is really sad..but we all know racism is still alive and thriving among so many misguided souls. The teaching begins at home and the video proves it…no one is born a racist…he/she is taught how to be a racist. In no way, shape, form or fashion is this funny…it’s truly a sad reality that racism, is still apart of everday life :(

12. I think teaching your kids to hate before they are old enough to experience life and form opinions of their own is a form of child abuse. Out of curiosity, I watch the “Coal Black & the Sebben Dwarfs” cartoon and my head and heart started to hurt. I know that cartoon was done back in the 1930s and that it was considered ground-braking animation at the time, but in no way, shape or form is it a “tribute” as the cartoonists said it was. I wouldn’t put too much stock in what some of these people that made racist responses to the “Sparkling Wiggles” video said. I hope for the little girl’s sake she won’t say her “cute” little phrase around the wrong folks…

13. Oh this is just sad…Just when I think we are evolving…I see this and we move 10 steps back.

14. This saddens me, I’m so not use to these type stories anymore that it makes it seem a if they no longer exist. Yet it’s evident that people are still spreading hate around in this world. That poor little girl when she becomes an adult not only the harm that will be done to others due to how she’s being taught but it’ll create a misreable existence for her as well. And it is a form of child abuse as someone mentioned

15. I agree with one of the comments about it DEFINITELY doesn’t sound like she’s saying sparkling wiggles…she’s saying f*&!ing niggas…it’s sick!

16. Neosoulbeauty says:

Quite frankly, the parents knew what they were doing. Jimmy Crow is one son of a B***h!! This is extremely sad and I’m very livid at this moment. There’s no way she was trying to Sparkling Wiggle…

17. I am absolutely appalled. As a white person, I apologize for my people. (It’s becoming a regular practice.)

I really wonder where parenting stands in this day and age. If you’ve seen another video gaining massive popularity, “The Landlord” with Will Ferrell, a baby girl curses him out for being late on the rent. It’s hysterical in a way, but an intelligent person knows… you can only let a baby do this kind of thing for a very short time before these words become the words they use everyday, when their vocabulary shouldn’t be straying far from ‘mama’ ‘elmo’ and ‘juice’.

And when these words are racial slurs, and taught in a sterotypical way (Get a job…), you just know the parents have gone past just funny into their own warped “values”.

Anyway, I’m rambling, but this video is just so wrong on so may levels.

18. lioness says:

When are black people ever going to learn: most white people, caucasians etc. don’t give a f— about us? Why are we surprised? Racism never left ok it will forever reign until we as descendants of Africans living in America realize that we need to take it further than what we are. We’ve gotten so comfortable now thinking that we’re equal in the eyes of most whites when we are creating that illusion. They don’t see us as equal when are we going to understand that. We don’t have nothing as far as a collective, as a collective we’re at the bottom of the totem pole because we refuse to set stuff up for ourselves that can do our collective as a whole some good. How many black people got legacies to leave their children? Not many. But most white people and some other cultures have that and more, granted it’s because of our ancestors busting their backs, but they got something. So I’m not shocked about the video, a little mad but people are going to be ignorant and teach their children how to be too. We can’t do nothing about that.

19. nikkibee says:

God help us all…..I pray healing and peace for that family and all others who share their sentiments….

20. I agree with tunesNtoons, I am married to a white man(im black) I find my husband apologizing for a lot of things white people do, and even though its appreciated it doesn’t take the pain away, This racial slurs are demeaning and hurtful and I pray that this world will heal itself. I have to admit, I sense a repeat of the LA riots soon, too much tension and not enough positive outlets to air it.

21. xcentricpryncess says:

We should not be mad….blatant racism isn’t going anywhere, it’s the underlying corporate kind that we should be worried about. Like Lioness said, many White Americans could care less about us. Read the local blogs of your town newspaper. Hatred is alive and well and living in every city in America. To think that just because they “allowed” us our freedoms in order for us to be equal is absurd. I think that most Whites have a superiority complex that was bred into them, most may not even be aware of it, but its there. Turn on the television tonight, look at all the white faces that you see as opposed to the people of color. And that is not supposed to mess with the psyche…Please

22. Bella, I’m so glad that you posted this. People are always telling me that as an African-American person, I’m being oversensitive about stuff like this. I thank you for vaildating me, in my beliefs as my Carribean sister. This is CRAZY! What is wrong with people. But I know what is wrong. White supremacy is as intergrated in American culture as apple pie. As much as I am shocked, I am not surprized. But I will say this to all the Black people out there using nigga, this is partially YOUR FAULT too. You are validating it.

23. As a white person I found this to be very depressing. Sure, kids say funny things occassionally through mispronounciation, but this, the way her parents encourage her, it is not funny.

Also, I took the test with little to no preference for light or dark skin. In the alternative it also told me that I may have made too many mistakes to give an accurate score to, which might be true. Little to no sleep will do that. But I like to think that it’s my lack of preference anyway.

Love the blog, so hate that there is even reason for these topics.

24. Wow, that video was pretty sad. I have hope that the racial problem will get better; as long as we don’t react in a racial way. I feel like when a racist white person expresses their racial views, blacks often respond with counter-racial ideas which compound the problem. We have to accept that this kind of attitude is wrong coming from either direction and work on getting people to understand the ideas of tolerance and love people like Dr. King worked so hard to teach us back in the day. I hope that little girl makes a non-white friend soon, the sooner she does, the sooner her reasonless hatred can abate.

25. E-Fresh says:

“Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Dark Skin compared to Light Skin. That data makes me part of 4% of people who took the study. Keep in mind, 27% feel the opposite way, and have a strong automatic preference for light skin compared to dark skin, another 27% had a moderate automatic preference for light over dark skin, and 10% had a slight automatic preference. So I’m in the decided minority, here. That doesn’t displease me, but still – I’m not sure what to think about that, especially in light of the other statistics.”

Hey B, If anything, I’d say that you fall within the decided majority. To me, the data suggests simply that people have an automatic preference toward their own skin color. Since dark skinned people are a minority in this country, it makes sense that there would be a lot fewer people with a preference toward darker skin.

26. Hi Bella,

I wonder what this child will think of herself if she sees this video in ten years. You never know, maybe it won’t bother her or maybe she will have enough of her own experience to feel uncomfortable with what she did. Anyway.

I thought you may be interested to know my brother and I really enjoy animation and are interested in the history of animated film. He was a guest blogger on an animation blog called Frederator a while back for a series of entries called “Black Comedy” week. It originally ran with controversial cartoons and his commentary. Here are some of the posts from a search.

I first saw Coal Black in a History of Animated Film course in 1993 or 1994. I was hugely distrubed when I saw it and I have seen it more than once since then, most recently in 2006. I think it is an important film for historical purposes on many fronts.

From a purely animation standpoint, this is one of Bob Clampett’s best films, the timing, character animation (NOT the character design) and the incredible soundtrack are among the best of their time. It is a marvel to study for these reasons.

For cultural reasons, I think we can easily agree on the problems. What I find is interesting are the different rationales for outrage when in the film and animation community when people discuss how hard it is to see this short and a feature like Song of the South. Then people’s true colours show quickly.

I am one of the people who has argues against the censorship of these films, however I have a different standpoint from many others, and I think there should be alot of forethought into how they are released and introduced to market. (For instance, showing it in an afternoon or primetime syndication block, or a DVD geared towards kids, would be out of the question.)

Anyway, I thought you would be interested in the link. If you ever want to discuss email him or me. Feel free.

27. Eni's Girl says:

This is so so sad but not suprising. Dr. King and the civil rights movement was a beginning of a process and not the completion of it. It’s a fight worth continuing.

I just feel like racist people or even folks who have subtle bigoted views are not willing to do the work to get over their issues around race. It’s like it’s acceptable to put forth lots of time and energy to maintain that ugliness. Yet it’s a waste of time to possibly see the beauty in another person who does not look like you but is more like you than not.

28. More and more I have been seeing that word “nigger” and hating it,because of things like this. I was watching it and it got me so angry and then I was hurt. I looked at the video response of a white man talking about how he finds it disgusting that white people treat black people as second class citizens. All the responses were telling him about how he’s a disgrace to the white race and how much the white people hate “niggers”. HOW DO YOU HATE A WHOLE RACE OF PEOPLE YOU DO NOT KNOW? One commenter continued to say that the man doing the video “must live in a white neighborhood because if he had to deal with negro behavior on a daily basis he wouldn’t think the same way”. I don’t understand this at all. How do white people take US from Africa and hate having us here? Telling us to go back to Africa. Unfortunately, because we were taken from there, it isn’t our home anymore. We don’t know what tribes we come from, we don’t speak the language. It’s so depressing because there is nothing that we can do about it. It was just so much hate aimed at people that they didn’t know. I found myself saying “no wonder black people can’t stand white people”. But i have to remind myself that not all white people are like that. I just can’t believe it.

29. Bella did you see this?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuetWSdDBIY&mode=related&search…….I mean it is sad that people continue to be sooooo ignorant in todays world. I, however, being an 18 year old African American woman, fight against those stereotypes. I speak proper english, I do not use the word nigger or “nigga”, I’m in college, I have a job, I am all natural, I do not disrespect myself by walking around like some sexual object, I am proud of who I am. I love being BLACK! And all these comments these people make about my people are indeed hurtful..without a doubt they are. But I believe that it is important for us to rise above the stereotypes and ignorance individually, and by doing so, hopefully, we will encourage others to do the same.

30. And i would also like to say that people who havent been through the black struggle are so quick to dimiss these antics as “jokes” and they are not. They take it sooo lightly because life, in contrast to their ours, is sooooooo easy. Things I beleev are not gonna change.

31. Raw Reality says:

Yes, they have subtle enough minds to understand these things in a general way. For those who need very specific examples in order to grasp the significance of this sort of mind control exercised by the media, I’ll give a very specific example.

Think for a moment about the current uproar in the Army as a result of the revelations about the wide-scale rape of female soldiers by drill instructors and officers at Aberdeen Proving Ground and other bases. This is really a shameful and intolerable situation. It is totally different from the drunken party a few years ago in Las Vegas by Navy fliers — the so-called “Tailhook scandal” — in which some women who attended the party were fondled and subjected to other indignities. The Tailhook Association parties were well known among Navy people as drunken orgies, and all the women who attended did so voluntarily. The Tailhook behavior was certainly nothing to be proud of, but it did not involve rape or coercion.

In the Army, on the other hand, female soldiers have been subjected to systematic sexual harassment, not at drunken parties they attended voluntarily but in connection with their military training, and many actually have been raped. Drill instructors and officers came into their barracks, grabbed them, dragged them into the bathrooms, and forcibly raped them, then threatened to cut their throats if they told anyone. This sort of thing happened not just once, but many times. It was a systematic thing. It is absolutely intolerable that we should have such a situation in the U.S. Army!

When the news finally broke a couple of weeks ago about what was happening to women recruits in the Army, the question which naturally arose was, why wasn’t something done to stop the rapes a long time ago? Why did the Army brass tolerate this behavior for so long?

Amazingly, the answer to this question was provided by Time magazine in a November 25 news story on the Army rapes. The Army had been investigating the situation for some time but was moving very slowly and very cautiously, according to the Time story. And why was the Army cautiously sitting on its hands and doing nothing to stop the rapes it knew were happening? The reason, according to Time, was that most of the rapists were Black drill instructors and Black officers, and most of the women being raped were White recruits. The Army brass were afraid that if they moved against the Black rapists they would be accused of racism.

The implication of this Time magazine story was that if the rapists had been White, the Army would have moved against them instantly and stopped the rapes. But because most of them were Black, the Army leaders were afraid to take action. And why were they afraid to take action? Because of the sort of brainwashing campaign that the controlled media have been engaged in for so long, a campaign to make people fear being accused of racism more than anything else, to make them fear that an accusation of racism will cost them their careers and ruin their lives, whether or not there is any substance to the accusation.

It is this campaign by the controlled media to develop a Pavlovian reflex in the American public, so that they will be afraid to criticize Blacks, which kept the Army from moving against its Black rapists. And it is the same campaign which led so many of the White women in the Army to become rape victims. They were easy targets for the Black rapists because they all had been subjected to a brainwashing campaign that conditioned them to be especially receptive to Blacks, a campaign which cleverly insinuated the idea into their minds that there’s nothing inherently wrong with interracial sex, that sex with a Black man is somehow more “progressive,” more “tolerant,” more Politically Correct than sex with a man of their own race; that to reject a Black man might be interpreted as an expression of racism. We’ve all seen this propaganda a thousand times in the mass media. All of the new films and television shows are full of it.

32. Raw Reality says:

Hate crimes by By Race

An analysis of available race data for the 6,804 known hate crime offenders revealed that:

* 60.5 percent were white.
    * 19.9 percent were black.
    * 12.3 percent were unknown.
    * 5.2 percent were groups made up of individuals of various races (multiple races, group).
    * 1.1 percent of known offenders were American Indian/Alaskan Native.
    * 0.9 percent were Asian/Pacific Islander.
    (Based on Table 9.)

SOURCE – http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/offenders.htm

African-American make up 13% of USA population, and 20% of HATE crimes.
    What can you conclude from that fact, ladies and gentlemen?

33. This makes me so angry. THIS is why I TRY, as much as possible, to keep the N Word out of my mouth.

Thank you for pointing out those statistics. Given the murderous, bloody history of the world in general and this country in particular, racists really believe that WE are the savages and terrorists! Shaking my head…

With all the crap, from The Middle Passage to Slavery to Jim Crow to Civil Rights, that black folks have been through in America, with all the BACKBREAKING WORK our ancestors have done FOR FREE, there are still people who believe we are less than human. It’s sickening, really. I’m just really tired of reading about this unbridled hatred, fear, ignorance and jealousy.

34. So Raw Reality you’re saying that these parents and white people who do f*ed up ignorant racist things are rebelling against the Pavlovian reflex?

That’s some crock right there, some people like it or not just hate black people, don’t care obviously like these parents and act racist towards black people damning the consequences. As you can very well see.

35. Afrobella,
    I have not watched the video. I do not feel that I need to as my psyche doesn’t need that mess. Will not be feeding into it and I pray that the little girl is re-enforced with healthier examples about people of color and our contributions to American culture. Those parents, so sad.

36. Raw Reality says:

ceecee – Nope.

37. I just re read the garbage that “Raw Reality” wrote and totally misunderstood those stats. This Raw Reality character is a racist and they always seem to crawl out of their holes to further their racist agenda by throwing out numbers. They always fish around for these skewed/faked stats and bring up rape. If you really want to GO THERE, white men surely must answer for the systematic rape of black women during the Black Holocaust.

I wish these people would get their own blogs or go sprout their jealousy and hatred on the Stormfront sites and leave our sites ALONE! Please do not respond to this hateful troll, guys. We’d be giving him what he/she wants: Attention. IGNORE THIS TROLL!!!

38. Bridgette says:

Unfortunately, I am not totally shocked by that video. I would’ve been a few months ago, but my family recently moved to a different part of the US and I have witnessed a lot more racist attitudes here. It makes me so sad because I have two small children that I want to protect from this kind of hatred. I find it hard to believe that was a mispronounced phrase; it’s probably something she hears a lot. So sad!

39. sisreese says:

This is just aweful…

40. Raw Reality says:

What’s a troll, someone who commits the unspeakable sin of not agreeing with you?
    Sam, what’s racist about bringing up facts?
    Did i ever claimed that i consider black people somehow inferior, or more violent?
    No, i didn’t!
    You assumed that by yourself.
    Facts are facts, whether they are demeaning towards any race or religion.
    Slavery, Genocide and oppression have been practiced by each and every ethnic and religious group though the history, from christians to jews to atheists, and from africans to europeans to asians.
    Whether you and me agree with it or not, that’s a empiric fact. You just ought to see things without double standards, on a impartial, apathetic manner.

41. Raw Reality says:

By the way, why can’t you people talk about this without always mentioning the nazis, kkk, or the stormfront creeps?
    Just look at what they’ve been claiming (false statistics, naturally) – the real ones can be seen at FBI report website.
    Almost 1 million white Americans were murdered, robbed, assaulted or raped by black Americans in 1992, compared with about 132,000 blacks who were murdered, robbed, assaulted or raped by whites, according to the same survey.
    Fake statistics, of course.

42. xcentricpryncess says:

Raw Reality: What do you do..scan the internet for sites that you can cite FBI references and display your anger towards black people? LOL….Would you do that face to face? Doubt it much….You believe FBI stats if you want to….they have been so honest over the years, with the whole JFK, MLK thing.

43. jerseybred says:

what you hate your children will love and bring home

44. Thats the first I’ve heard about this video. That shit is not cool. I dont think its funny and I would be embarrassed if I knew those people. Some people are so damn ignorant.

45. Hm, there is just so much to say concerning this video. First of all, the parents are certainly at fault for teaching this child to say hurtful things. Yes, children slip up, but most good parents would try to work with their child so they can learn to say things properly. They would not fill their head with racists ideology either.

Next, the website CollegeHumor.com is at fault. Posting a video like this and calling it humor is absolutely sick! That’s all that it is is sick! Not only does the humor thing bother me, but the fact that the people who would enjoy this are “college level”. You would think people at that age would know better, but as you can see, that’s not the case. I am going to go to CollegeHumor and see what other things they have there and comment on them on my blog.

Finally, some of the video responses to this clip is ridiculous. The one in blackface I didn’t even watch, because I don’t want to make myself anymore upset than I already am.

I seriously pray for this world. Thanks to the Internet; rapists, sexual predators, and racists can post stuff and harrass people without getting caught. I have a feeling that people have been waiting on an invention like the Internet for a long time. They can get their true feelings out and commit crimes of harrassment and slander without getting caught. The Internet is a great tool, but jeez… I hate it sometimes.

46. designdiva says:

I was angry and yet,not surprised at this video. That is what the majority of white people think of us. This is exactly why I can’t STAND white people. They’re always hollering about they hate black folks, but this country was created by and for the American white man. White people can live anywhere they want to live, and take any kind of job they want, and they don’t have to have a degree or experience. They get paid more than a black woman or man, so what the hell are they angry at us for?!? I took that test also, and my score was a preference for african americans than european americans. So far there are only 4% in this category, and I counted three other scores before mine on this blog. Does each person count as a percent? (haha)

For Raw Reality: I understand the point you were trying to make, I just don’t think that this is the appropriate time or place to make it… sorry

47. france redesigned says:

Please ask for permission before embedding my videos.

48. Damn, you stay away from the comments for a day and look at what happens. Raw Reality, I don’t think you are a troll, I do think you have an agenda you came to share with my readers. Please feel free to explain further how your FBI statistics tie into the discussion of the “sparkling wiggles” controversy. Are you trying to say that there is a history of reverse racism that is passed on within the black community as well? If so, then you’ve gone about trying to make that point in the entirely wrong way.

I actually just read a really interesting article in the Chicago Tribune that sought to define a hate crime, based on a recent and horrific black-on-white murder that is going unreported in the media. That’s worth discussing in a later post, and perhaps your data would be pertinent then. But right now, it just comes across like a racist perspective that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed. And I’m really not cool with that.

49. Felicia S. says:

Hello from Seoul, Korea!
    I have just had the chance to sit down during my break and look at the last 8 days I’ve missed of Afrobella. I must say that I am very curious about the clip that you speak of, however I will not view it. There’s so much hate and prejudice running rampant in the world, especially in the US that I cannot add another image of that deplorable thinking and behaviour to my mind. I am glad however that there is a forum such as yours that people can share their views and concern.
    I have been in Seoul (great city!!! Afrobella you would go mad for the shoes here and they are so cheap!!!) and have experienced such a warm and kind welcome from Korean people here. People here are happy about life, about their lives and I am so fortunate to be surrounded by that reality because it’s where I am in my own life.

I will definitely be here for one year (my contract says so) but I see myself here for years to come.

I wish you all blessings and happiness!

50. Dear france redesigned, I deleted your video from my post. Feel free to brush me up on my YouTube etiquette, I thought if a person didn’t indicate “embedding disabled by request,” they were thereby saying it was ok to embed their video elsewhere if desired. No worries, the video is readily available at many other websites. Apologies for not asking, I’ve never had anything but positive encounters with YouTube video posters I’ve exchanged messages with before.
    Take care, Afrobella

51. E-Fresh says:

Annyeong haseyo Felicia S. I’m glad you’re having such a great time in Seoul. I agree that it’s an amazing city and that Koreans are very warm hearted people.

But, you make it seem like Koreans are much happier than Americans. I have to disagree with you as Koreans face even more societal and family pressures and often bottle up feelings within themselves. Having many Korean friends, I see the internal struggles firsthand. It’s no wonder that Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world.

That said, enjoy your time in Korea! I can’t wait to get back there : )

52. You know if the world only looked one way, and everything was one type, food, clothes, faces everything! How wonderful would that be? the differences that separate us are what makes life interesting! For all those white or black persons that
    feel they are above the other in race, where do you both go when you die? what do you have in both your veins? YOU are BOTH subjected to the same things, separated only by varying backgrounds, and the sooner
    the unintelligent people who love to hate gets this, then things will start to get better. France redesigned, you need help, sick minds do sick things, so get help.If you don’t want the world to know your heart is lacking don’t show it, Bella did nothing wrong.

53. Raw reality, please do not try to justify the twisted
    sick joke on youtube, by giving data on army rape crimes. “rape don’t justify brewing hate” if it did, then every time some thing offensive was said or done to a black person, then we would be drawing data from what use to happen on the slave plantations.

54. Eni's Girl says:

Raw Reality, could you provide a link for “raped by Blacks in the Army” story? I searched the Time Magazine site for this story. I did find stories on military rapes but none regarding the specific story that you spoke about so thoroughly and in such detail.

I find it difficult to believe that this story did not make the evening news since I know the media does not ever miss an opportunity to publish or report unflattering information about black folks — not ever.

I really don’t understand your reason for posting this story except what? To say that those parents were justified in coaching the little girl to spew that hatred because enlisted Black men raped white girls in the Army?

I too could come up with many, many, many truths about white men raping Black women, killing Black men “just because”, and no investigation ever took place and the media (print or otherwise) never reported it. However, it still does not relate directly or indirectly to teaching your kids to hate another group of people.

55. Bebroma says:

I don’t want to feed into Raw Reality’s agenda, because it is obvious that there is one…I would like to point out, however, that there is such a thing as unreported crime. I’m not going to try to change anyone’s mind, that can’t happen unless you want to be objective and truly are open. However, it is a fact that many times people who have a history of being victimized for one reason or another do not report crimes against their person because either they fail to appreciate that a true crime against their person has been committed, or they feel that it would be pointless as they have no real recourse. What do you think about the fact that of the 200 people cleared by DNA of terrible crimes recently, most of them have been Black? I find that interesting, and a reflection of why the numbers you quote so very eagerly may not be entirely accurate in actuality. Yes, they are accurate as to what was REPORTED, but not, perhaps, as to what was actually perpetuated. In spite of the fact that you obviously believe that all Blacks are screaming and “whining” from every roof top about every insult to their person, I don’t feel that it’s true. But, I will stop there because I PROMISED myself I would not get drawn into commenting from an emotinal standpoint.

56. Bebroma says:

Oh, and by the by, I am not saying that Blacks never commit crimes against whites, nor am I saying that it should be excused based on our history. That would be reducing Blacks to the child-like mentality that so many believed we had and DID use to excuse their treatment of us. However, I do feel that for some reason Raw Reality used this incident as a springboard to excuse attitudes that contribute to dissension.

57. Hi this is a good web logs, would you think about being a guest author on my web logs?

58. I agree that the video is neither cute, funny, nor cool. As old as this child appears (I’m guessing about 4), and with such a marked speech impediment, you’d think her parents would spend their time trying to improve her enunciation rather than exploit her on YouTube.

59. Lots of whites are racist, but their the only ones who seem to be somewhat ashaimed, I’ve head plenty about “white guilt” but never Hispanic, Asian, etc.
    Whites racism maters more in terms of harm done because they have money, influance etc. That’s why everyone is on them about it. But that race hatred is alive and well every where.

60. Every race, color and ethnicity of people have members of said groups that are racist towards other groups. Some blacks are racist some whites are racist. I would argue that the numbers percentage wise aren’t too far apart. What matters is the social inequality. On the norm white racism has more impact than black racism because whites started in a position of power in this country n have maintained the power. I’m not saying it’s right I’m just stating how it is. Both sides are racist n I doubt you’ll ever change that 100%.

Afrobella, your whole website is dedicated to ‘pointing out’ racism, inciting anger, you offer no solutions you just fuel fire. N honestly, like black people don’t poke way more offenses em fingers n stereotypes your peoples way in movies n songs n comedy n tv? I understand the video is wrong. It is. But take a minute and think about what kinda message a majority if your black high profiles send out. To some people that’s the ONLY image if black ppl They get. That’s like other countries JUST getting the Jerry springer channel as a microcosm of the USA. It’s no wonder, a lot more than just white culture needs to change. By ur website seems to run on white guilt so good luck to ya.