Um…Steve Harvey’s Got Hair Advice?

I’ve been known to chuckle at a Steve Harvey joke from time to time. His delivery amuses me. His opinions…not so much. In fact, it doesn’t really surprise me when Steve Harvey – or any other comedian, really – says something ignorant.

It isn’t the comedian’s job to be wise, it isn’t the comedian’s job to educate. For the most part they remain completely dedicated to just trying to be funny, by any means necessary. And if you call them out for being ignorant or wrong, that is their first line of defense, and you’ll be attacked as having a broken sense of humor. Can you tell that I’ve heard this all before?

So when I read this post over at Honey Brown Sugar – Steve Harvey Doesn’t Like Our Hair – my eyes just kinda rolled themselves.

To quote:

I could really care less if Steve Harvey likes my hair to be quite honest. BUT, yesterday someone brought to my attention a topic that was discussed on his morning show and I just had to share it with my girls! From what I understand, the conversation went as follows (Special thanks to the person who shared this with me!):

A lady called in to ask the guest stylist a hair related question. As part of her question she mentions she is natural and wears her hair twisted and untwisted for the crinkled look. She wanted to know how to keep her hair from breaking and how to keep it moisturized. The guest stylist then proceeds to give her a product recommendation (from the line he was representing, Soft Sheen).
Steve then throws in the following question: Do you have a man? The caller responds by saying “yes”, he then goes on to ask, “how does he like your hair?”, she then says , “he doesn’t like the natural look”…. Steve’s response: “I knew it! YOU GONNA LOSE YO’ MAN!” and then they cut to a commercial.

Oh Steve. You of all people should be more sympathetic than that.

I wish there was audio of this, because it would add context to the comment. All I can do is speculate as to what Steve Harvey meant to say, or would have continued to say. And in my view – any man who has had a hair journey like Steve Harvey, should be more sympathetic and appreciative of natural hair.

Yes. Steve Harvey has had a hair journey, and quite a public one. Now he’s bald, and looks good with it! Go ‘head Steve! But let’s not forget the past. The website Bald Outing has done a great job of making sure that won’t ever happen. (Yes, Bald Outing is exactly what it sounds like. Just in case you were wondering about any of your favorite celebrities!)

In the 90′s, Steve Harvey was clearly struggling with hair loss – as pictorial evidence reveals.

Then for a while he appeared to have the perfect hairline. Too perfect, some might say. So straight. So neat. Like the very microphone he’s holding in the photo below.

Then there was the hat phase. Remember that? Yes indeed. Good times.

I’m not one to speculate, but you should go ahead and Google Steve Harvey wig or Steve Harvey hairline and see what comes up. Or check out the Facebook group, Steve Harvey, We Know That’s A Wig. Mmmm hmmm. Point made.

Barber to the stars Maurice Manley once told me that he’s got a secret “blending technique” for clients with male pattern baldness. It involves specialized trimming, and sometimes the use of fill-in hair fibers. Maybe that’s what Steve Harvey was doing – maybe it was never a wig. I’m not here to disparage the man. My point is, Steve Harvey has had his ups and downs with hair and trying to keep up appearances. He knows what that feels like. He’s finally chosen to embrace what his hair wanted to do in the first place. And I bet he feels freer for having done so.

In light of that, I think it’s unfortunate that he’d feel the need to come down on a sister who’d most likely had a hair journey of her own, and is free to make her own hair decisions. Telling her she’s gonna lose her man because of how she’s wearing her hair isn’t an enlightening, informed or necessarily correct message.

So I gotta say from the bottom of my heart: Steve Harvey, your response was ignorant and wrong. There are beautiful black women all over the world, who wear their hair kinky, coily, natural and free – and are loved and in happy relationships of all kinds. There are so many men that LOVE women with natural hair!

I wish your message to that young woman had been positive. She admitted that her man doesn’t like natural hair, and that’s bound to be painful and difficult for her. Instead of making her feel bad, that was a great time for you to say hey girl, if your man doesn’t appreciate your natural beauty, then he’s got a problem. You need to let him know how that makes you feel. If he really doesn’t like it and refuses to change his mind – you should discuss that aspect of the relationship and your feelings about it, before you go about changing your appearance just to satisfy his shallow, appearance based desires. It’s not a pithy 10 second soundbite, but jeez. Something. Anything more inspiring and intelligent than what you actually said.

But hey. There I go again, having expectations of a deeper message from a comedian.

Sigh.

What’s your view, bellas? And – bonus question – what advice should Steve Harvey have given the caller?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I agree with you totally. The woman called to get a hair tip. I don’t know why he felt the need to ask about her personal life anyway. If anyone should want to refrain from making hair jokes, it would be Steve Harvey.

• thank you! That’s exactly my point!

• madamenatural says:

I’ve had my ups and downs with Steve. He has more than enough imperfections on him that a woman wouldn’t find attractive. He can be insensitive all in the name of trying to be funny. Maybe he prefers his women to have relaxed hair or a straight weave. Hopefully the caller didn’t take him too seriously.

2. I had no idea he was balding before. This is hilarious!

3. Last night I was talking to a friend of mine, an FtM transgender who was worried that nobody would want to be with him. Something occurred to me then, and I think it applies here too. You have to be yourself, first and foremost. Otherwise, you can’t have real love. So if she would “lose her man” over her natural hair, it wouldn’t be true love she’s losing. If anything, she would gain the freedom to find someone who finds every part of her beautiful. And I don’t think that it reflects well on Steve that the best thing he could say was the kind of mean-spirited taunt that most of us left behind on the playground.

• You gave your friend some beautiful advice and so much wisdom there. You can’t be anything but yourself. Tell him to stay strong – the right person will come along. It may take time and thinking outside the box though!

4. Steve Harvey is a comedian. Last time I check he has been married 3 times and doesn’t possess a degree or certificate for that matter in relationship counseling or Black Studies. Additionally from what little I’ve heard from him he has some… very old fashioned, dare I say Southern (as in my grandmother’s generation of blacks who immigrated up North) way of thinking. I have no patience for his condescending view of Black women so his remarks regarding this woman’s natural hair just felt like more ignorant trash talking to me. I doubt how his then wife wore her hair had anything to do with why those marriages didn’t work.

5. Sorry…… But Harvey needs to stay in his lane! He’s VERY blessed to have had his book and relationship expert status accepted by many. I thought we were being punk’d when he started answering questions on that radio show and appearing on talk shows! Women are steadily denying who they are and what they REALLY look like to please men. I have a fro and I also alternate my look by flat ironing. The men in my life at any given time, have either loved or hated either style. I tell them “Love It or Leave It”. SMH. Does he have daughters?

6. HappyToBeNappy says:

As I said on FB, his comments don’t bother me one bit. He’s a comedian & says what he thinks is funny. And to be honest, if the lady’s man doesn’t like her hair, there might be a problem there. We need to stop looking to others for guidance on our situation. . .especially to someone like Steve Harvey who has no business giving advice on the subject.

We gotta make figure out what works for us & not worry about what others think. A man who doesn’t accept you as is, is not worth your time.

7. SistaDiva01 says:

Heard it all before! This “hatred” that so many BM possess against natural hair is the REAL white elephant in the room. Ladies, I took the blinders off 17 years ago and I have not looked back. My non-Black husband loves whatever I do, but in the second year of our relationship he asked me why I chemically straigtened my hair and then I started thinking about it and I read a bunch of books about it and did the big chop, the afro and now loc’d for as long as my marriage of 15 years. I had family members out of “love” warn me that “that white man is going to leave you”..I had BM friends saying, “Yes, HE WOULD want you all natural and jungle like”…and I just did not give a “fly”. I love my locs and I love my husband and I have some of the best “Fashion Locs” as my Rasta Friends say (I don’t do it for religious reasons) around…Love you and do you and the MAN for you will love you for it.

8. I agree with you and Steve Harvey clearly has not heard that people in glass houses should not throw stones. Since he’s been given this ridiculous relationship guru title, he should have just said that if your man truly loves you, that would include your hair, however it’s styled.

9. Thank you Afobella for this amazing post. I love Steve Harvey, but in no way is he eligible to go love, hair or relationship advice.

10. How can you tell a comedian to stay in his lane? He DID. He made a joke. Whenever I’m listening to him on the radio he always makes a throwaway joke right before the commercials. It wasn’t PC and it wasn’t helpful or encouraging to the girl, but hell. It’s not like she wrote to his advice column and asked about it. Until you know for sure he truly and honestly was saying, get you a relaxer to keep your man, why put energy into feeling any type of way about it. ESPECIALLY when you know he went through his own hair issues.

• My point in this post was – the woman asked for advice from the expert. Steve Harvey is a comedian but could have made a different comment that would not have been dismissive or discouraging. You can be funny without being that! Or do you not agree?

• I don’t agree. She knew who Steve Harvey was when she called into his radio show. I think of it this way, in a comedy club would you sit in the front row when D.L. Hughley is performing? I wouldn’t, because he is known to make jokes about the people in his audience. I wouldn’t call expecting him to make a joke, but I wouldn’t be shocked or surprised by it at all…not even disappointed. I didn’t hear it so the context is lost on me, but to me, if she really truly wanted help from a stylist there are plenty of ways to go about it that don’t include someone who makes a living making jokes being a part of the conversation.

11. Forget Stevie Harvey & his bald-headed self. What he knows about us and natural hair could fill a thimble. He’s a professional jester. He did that lil’ simple-minded joke because that’s what he does best. That’s the very reason why everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. He’s no more a natural hair expert than he is a relationship expert. He’s just a funny old man that has lived a little. Pay him and that snide comment absolutely no mind.

• Usually I am great at ignoring ignorance but the more I thought about it, the more I felt like I needed to speak my piece! I am certainly not letting him stress me though! LOL

12. This is so unnecessary. Who cares how you choose to wear your hair? Do what works best for YOU and YOUR lifestyle. You natural hair sisters are getting as annoying as gay right’s activists. What’s next a natural hair march??? Steve Harvey is a comedian. He cracks jokes. Relax! Damn! I’m happily relaxed because that is what works FOR ME and MY life. No need to badger anyone, not waving a hair flag, not organizing a rally, taking a poll, ready to fight. It’s only hair. Chill.

• Nothing in Afrobella’s post condemned relaxing hair. She advocates natural hair for various reasons, but that does not include condemning others who chemically alter their hair. (Afrobella, please correct me if I’m wrong.)

What she DOES speak out against is the notion Steve Harvey threw out willy-nilly that this woman is going to “lose her man” just because her hair isn’t straight. This is a real concern many women (not me thankfully) have. The fact that he says this cuts deep for many, and it was irresponsible for him to say something like this. If anything, Steve did exactly what you erroneously accuse Afrobella of doing. Maybe YOU need to chill.

• I love comments like this, from first time visitors who know little about my blog’s philosophy.

Hey Alicia – Afrobella is about natural hair, but I have taken pains over the years to not be judgmental and harsh about anyone else’s hair choices. If you choose to relax your hair, that’s up to you! My point is, this woman called into Steve Harvey’s show to ask questions of the hair expert. Why did he feel the need to comment, “you’ll lose your man?” It had nothing to do with her question, and in my opinion he should have and could have been more sympathetic.

Feel free to reread my post, and let me know where I came down on your hair choices. Cause it didn’t happen.

• Wow, are you wearing your ignorance as a badge of honor outside? What he said was offensive because he is implying that there is something “ugly” about her hair, for her man to leave her.

• Oh wow. You take issue with women who choose to wear their God-given hair AND The Gays?? You have definitely come to the wrong blog.

I’m gonna agree with your point about Uncle Steve being a comedian. That’s why with his book (which I bought and read) and all that he says on his show, I just have to laugh. I figure that’s the point, right?

But for you to come to forum yelling and telling the author to “Relax” doesn’t seem like you are happily relaxed at all. Maybe the Creamy Crack is doing something to your brain? I don’t know…I’m a comedian too, so whateva.

• Actually, this comment is unnecessary.

1) It’s rather insulting and condescending
      2) Why the heezy are you on a natural hair website anyway?
      3) If you’re comfortable with your hair, forget everyone else and do you. Why do you and so many others feel the need to defend yourselves?

• flygyrl72 says:

Oh Alicia, Alicia…this comment speaks VOLUMES about your lack of intelligence, I almost think it’s a joke…”you natural hair sisters are getting as annoying as gay right’s(sp?) activists” BWAH-HA-HA… Are you for real???

See, B. & Bella are WAA-AY more diplomatic than I am…

Seriously, if you feel that way, then why are you even on here, dumb-dumb?! It’s A-F-R-O-bella. AFRO-bella.com…afro = natural…make the connection????… You coming on here with your post is what’s “so unnecessary”.

There’s so much that’s wrong with your silly statements, you oughta be embarassed. Your ignorance is appalling…I don’t even have to say anything further, your post clearly speaks for itself….SMH

Anyways, lemme get back to my organizing, I’m trying to put together a march for natural haired gay right’s activists next week…LOL…

13. Oh man, I listened to that part of his show last week. But, now I can’t remember everything he said. I do remember chuckling and shaking my head at the same time. Maybe I’ve just developed thick skin but I truly did not take Harvey’s comment seriously. It went in one ear and out the other. It is interesting to see how this is being picked up in the blog world though.

14. Afrobella, I do understand your point, I have been a natural girl since 1999. But Steve Harvey is a comedian and his “advice” is more for laughs than anything else. You have to take everything he says worth a grain of salt and I am sure people that call in know that… right

• i disagree. he’s sat on forums and even wrote a book that was meant to educate black women on how to get and keep a man. if anything, i see this as his true feelings about black women and our hair. what he said may have been for cheap laughs but the reality is, a lot of black men feel the same way. it seems to be his mission to tell black women what we’re doing wrong. i guess he should have given that advice to his two ex wives. #shade

15. Mireille says:

Steve Harvey also once said he finds hairy legs sexy. So the hair on your head must be relaxed/pressed, but the hair on your legs can be au naturale according to Steve. SMH. Why does this man still have credibility?

16. Steve Harvey just needs to have a seat and most importantly shut up. I don’t know why he thinks he’s qualified to speak on the behalf of black women. He’s been off the chain since that wretched book came out. The lady was calling in to talk to the stylist, not him. I’m going to stop now before my eyes get stuck from me rolling them, lol.

P.S. Thank you for this post Afrobella. A true demonstration of how truly ignorant Steve Harvey is.

17. nolagirl says:

1. I would not go to steve harvey about how to keep a man, he’s on his 3rd marriage.
    2. I don’t know who gave him the relationship guru title but whatever keeps your rent paid.
    3. years ago whent he steve harvey show was on the air Cedric the entertainer made a joke about his fro having a big hole in it….. thats when I realized he wore something to cover the fact that his hair was thinning.
    4. maybe the funny part of the joke was cut off by the comerical?

18. cocobakerchica says:

Bella, I get you, your concerns and love what you do. There have been times when I sit and listen to Steve Harvey because my mom has put his show on instead of the tv in the morning, and he can be both hilarious and offensive(and sometimes at the same time). I get the purpose of the show is to gain ratings, and being a jerk gets ratings. The joke was timed to that no one COULD come back with a crack on him! I sincerely hope the caller drops the BF and keeps the natural hair!

19. On one hand, I think Steve made the joke just because that what he does, but on the other hand, there was (IMO) an undercurrent of disdain regarding natural (nappy) hair from him. I was disappointed that both Carla and Shirley laughed at the joke.

Johnny Wright (the stylist from Dark & Lovely) answered the caller’s question, explaining how both relaxed and natural hair can be very drying, he didn’t make any judgmental statements or opinions about her hairstyle options. I wonder if Steve would have said anything smart to the caller if she said had that her bf liked her natural hair.

20. I love that we, the sistas, are binding together to announce to the world… ‘we are beautiful, just the way we are’. The steve harveys of this world are not good enough for women who shine natural beauty from the inside out…. I have been married 10 yrs today! and my white husband reminds me everyday of how much he LOVES my natural hair!!!
    Thank you AfroBella for being our Afro champion

21. Mishara says:

I needed this laugh badly. Thank you Bella lol. I usually roll my eyes and chuckle whenever Steve says anything. Similiar to how you chuckle at your little cousin when they tell you their FIRST car is gonna be a Beamer…he amuses me like a real life Tricks cereal rabbit. Whether that sista has a natural 1 inch fade or orange 6 foot weave, she put her self on the line to get on a media hotline. She did not have to do it. It took courage on her part to be the person who asked a question. And he was wrong for disrespecting her. I am puzzled by him offbeat comedy, dancing, and Essence magazine relationship advice (supposedly empowering the black female masses). I wish him well, maybe he’ll get it together one day…(touches curls) whateva!

22. flygyrl72 says:

Good post Bella. I concur. Of course we know that he’s a comedian & he got jokes, we get that. But on the other hand, this man made the NY Times Bestseller list for that book on relationship advice, in other words, a lotta sisters are listening to his advice, & for him to say that, while not malicious was probably not the best thing for him to say. I do take some offense to it, as a natural haired sister, even though I know it’s a joke. He just needs to think things through more before he says them & it’s appropriate for you to call him on it.

23. Being a natural woman for the past 20 years, having seen and experienced a thing or two, I say, “…in one ear and out the other.” Chillax.

24. haha too funny that you called him out and had pics as proof….i agree comedians are suppose to be funny but they really should only speak on what they know….obviously he doesn’t understand natural hair and all that can be done…so that comment was out of line but as you said don’t take it seriously coming from him…

25. Loved this article. Thanks for posting. If we were just more supportive of each other.

26. Steve was on Good Morning America giving relationship advice to people who went on blind dates. There was a man who said his date who was natural looked “earthy.” Steve told him that earthy was not what a woman wanted to hear b/c that meant she looked like she didn’t looked groomed. Steve went on to complement the woman’s hair. I’ll give him a pass on this one..this time. He was trying to be funny. I enjoyed seeing Steve’s progression into baldness. :)

27. ShonQuayShah says:

to: Steve “BaldyLocks” Harvey

“your mama!” lol!

28. No Name says:

I didn’t hear the show, and I’ve read the above post over and over. And basically (sigh and breath)…well read below:
    1.I agree about the relationship issue (I too have bought the book but have not finished it-maybe there’s something there).
    2.I don’t know why he asked if she had a man. He asks that question, and the “how tall are you?” and “how much do you weigh?” alot. I don’t get why, because 99.9% of the time it doesn’t relate to the topic or anything.

Here’s the point some of you may not like, but here goes:
    3. Has anyone thought that maybe he said she’s going to lose her man because she wasn’t calling about reverting back to chemicals, but instead she called on how to have take care of her natural hair; which her man doesn’t like. He (the caller’s man) doesen’t like the state her natural hair is in now (I’m thinking not as healthy as she would like, which is why she called). What makes her think he’s going to like it when she’s taking care of her hair so to have healthy NATURAL hair.

29. Natural hair is the way to go. Most Black Women are beautiful just the way they are.

30. Afrokittay says:

Hi bella. I just read the HBS post and was hoping to see something regarding Mr. Harvey’s latest bit of coonery on this site. Your post was on point. Not defensive or spiteful, just on point. I get tired of the unfounded assumption that natural hair condemns a woman to life long spinster-hood. Meh.

31. Actually the real elephant in the room is how much many Black men hate THEMSELVES, and project that ignorance onto women. Harvey’s big doofy mug has made another career out of telling Black women what they need to do to get a man and guess what-he would not be successful if so many women did not eat that mess up with a spoon. Has he written any self help books for Black men? No, that would be too much like right-it’s much easier to project insecurities onto women instead. That woman caller should have answered back with yeah i got a man, do you have a woman?

And imo, his latest buffoonery does not even concern natural hair-fools like him are at the ready with stupidity-and it’s funny how so many Black male comics rely on the same kind of humor when it comes to Black women.

• This is what it boils down to. SELF-HATRED. And I think the sisters are a step ahead in interrogating black self-hatred in terms of beauty standards.

32. Wow. His wife has a head full of weave and he’s going go in on a woman that’s wearing her own hair.

33. Foofers says:

1) steve harvey wore a wig fro on his bald spot
    2) steve harvey has fake teeth
    3) his tein daughters look just like him with wigs on
    4) his wifes breast implants look like tennis balls

Need I say more….

34. Another reason to not like him. He is an absentee father, he is a cheater, he is an adulterer.
    Gosh I dont like him.

35. If the woman asked questions on hair care tips, what was the purpose of bringing her relationship into the discussion? His comment (even if he meant it in jest) speaks to a larger issue of some men believing that they have a right to dictate what is beautiful on a woman. She should be free to wear her hair however she pleases, and she does not need approval from her significant other on how she should wear her hair.

Also, his comment also speaks to another issue that even in this day and age, it’s okay to attack black women who choose to go natural. Despite the whole black is beautiful mantra that echoed through the 70′s that told people to embrace your “natural beauty, clearly that only applies if you are a male. In general, it still bothers people to see black women where their hair naturally. Maybe some people perceive it as a statement of non-conformity rather than an individual exercising her right to love her hair in its natural state.

In general, there is a pervasive attitude that beautiful hair for black woman is the sister with “good hair,” any hair that is curly, fine or wavy and completely devoid of any kink or wooly texture. If you aren’t “blessed” with having “good hair” naturally, then you better be prepared for a lifetime of relaxers, weaves, lacefronts, blow outs and anything that completely eradicates your kink if ever want to keep a man as Steve Harvey implies.

I’m in my mid-30s and I still have yet to figure out what “good hair” means. Ever since I was a teenager, I asked people that. When people respond, it usually starts with a moment of awkward silence, followed by dirty looks, eye rolls or teeth sucking, then rather than answering my question, they tell me that ‘I know what they mean by good hair’ (if I did, I would not have asked the question in the first place).

Ladies if you are with a man who does not like your natural hair, get another man. If you have friends who insist that you get a perm, get some new friends. I’m a firm believer that you should not change what you love about yourself to make someone else happy.

36. onyxblack says:

And this is one of the many reasons I don’t listen to his show. He’s a tired individual if you ask me. He’s funny at times but says the same, tired old b.s. 24/7. He’s very closed minded and opinionated. He is blessed for the fan base he does have and the money he gets, but for people like me that are a little on the outside, he has a way of pushing us farther away.

And as for the woman with the man that doesn’t like her natural hair, I have yet to hear of a man leaving a woman just because of her hair. Especially in a serious relationship. Maybe he’s mad because his first and second wives left him due to his baldness. The third wasn’t putting up with it so he just shaved it off. Smart move.

37. WOW…how unfortunate…and this is one of the reasons why when women ask me questions about my natural hair, I keep it real with them..I tell them the good sides and the bad sides but I STRESS that they MUST be fully comfortable with THEMSELVES when deciding to grow out their natural hair..unfortunately many of us live in environments in which those sentiments are the norm so u need to truly know who you are to be able to handle that type of ignora….no….STUPIDITY

38. I totally agree. I am a big Steve Harvey fan and have known his wife’s family all of my life. I happened to hear his comment and was very disappointed in him for saying that. The smile was wiped off of my face immediately. Why does our hair have to be fried, dyed and laid to the side to be accepted Steve? I have Sisterlocks and have never been so in love with my hair before. I think the comment was an insult to every black woman. Steve describes his show as being one that uplifts. I didn’t feel uplifted Steve. In fact, I felt quite let down.

• SweetThang says:

I’ve asked that question myself why does our hair have to be fried, dyed and laid to the side? I have seen so many women whose hair has been literally destroyed by chemicals. I see so many split ends, breakage, edges so jacked up that the hairline is back behind the ears. Is that look supposed to be more attractive, professional, and acceptable? I think not.

39. Leslie B. says:

Steve Harvey doesn’t like our hair?? Steve Harvey’s hair (when he HAD hair) IS our hair!!!!!! If he could grow some of “our hair”, maybe he wouldn’t be hatin’ on natural sisters…

Seriously, it’s a matter of taste. One person’s opinion shouldn’t doesn’t set the standard of beauty.

40. Honestly, I disregard anything Steve Harvey has to say, and Black men like him. Completely useless.

41. As I tell all the men that question my natural hair, “its natural all over,boo”.

42. kadyshawann says:

That is not the first time. a few years back jill scott was on his show talking about the time she spent in the mother land filming her hbo show. steve made a comment about how the brothers walk around with uncombed hair,jill said some thing like “brothers here are pleased and happy with what God created, they wash oil and go knowing they are fine. good you did not try to hand any body a comb,they dont play that” I felt like I was not even listening to a black man, I really could not believe it. but now that I see his hair journey I see that thier has been a lot of shame,and it all makes since. I am goning to pray 4 him.

43. Nicci, Esq. says:

This is quite timely that I stumbled on this post. I happened to flip to his last comedy show and he did a routine on his son and how he wanted locs and how he was so adamantly against it because his son wants to be a lawyer and who in that profession has “that” hair….the smile instantly went off my face. First, because on July 30, 2010 I did the BC in the most major way–shaved it off and secondly, because I AM a lawyer. I can appreciate his “my house, my rules” mantra but for someone who doesnt know the FIRST thing about the legal profession to spew such garbage to his son made my blood boil. If he knew anything, he’d know that PLENTY of black attorneys wear natural hair (hello, every stopped by HU School of Law!?! DUH!) Even in my very own predom white law school alot of black women had natural hair. The message I feel that he should teach his son is “Look, you should wear your hair how YOU see fit. It is an expression of YOU and if an employer doesnt want to hire you because of YOUR hair, do you really want to work there anyway?”

Geez, I cant stand ignorance.

44. I agree sistas Steve Harvey is arrogantly closed minded & honestly I am not surprised by the comment that he made. Any Black man that has a problem with natural afro textured hair has some underlying problem with himself. The best retaliation is to keep on rockin’ your beautiful natural hair and sistas we are doing it. More and more sistas are returning to their natural state and looking just as lovely as societies version of beauty.

45. SweetThang says:

I listen to Steve Harvey most mornings on the way to work and usually he is funny but in this case Steve was wrong. I expect people of other races to say mean things about our hair but it seems that the biggest critics of natural hair are other black people. It seems like many black people feel like people who wear natural hair are giving a secret away.

I really have a problem with black men who say they don’t like women with natural hair. These men have the same kinks growing from their scalps as the natural women do. When I hear a black man say they don’t like natural hair women, it makes me wonder do they even like black women. I feel like it is code word that they desire women of other races.

I also heard of a silly young rapper named Young Berg who says he only likes women who can pass the pool test. That means women who hair stays straight once it gets wet. I also disliked when another comedian D.L. Hughley agreed with Don Imus when he said the Rutger’s Womens Basketball team were nappy headed h–.

46. Senior Coke says:

Who ever does his lace front should be a millionare….that thang aint never been off centered or missed and came off are nothing….well damn the things you learn in a day….

47. Thanks for finally talking about > Um…Steve Harvey’s Got
    Hair Advice? | Afrobella < Loved it!

Trackbacks