I’ve always wanted to be crafty, but usually what happens is a whole lot of ambition and purchased products, and very little output. The end result is inevitably a box of supplies that sits here gathering dust. I’ve got soapmaking stuff, aromatherapy stuff, all kinds of art supplies and beads and yarn just waiting for me to know what to do with it. Finally, here’s a chance for me to actually follow through and master a craft. Thanks to amazing jeweler (and fellow Trini) Jade Gedeon, I finally think I can DO it. I think I can make jewelry if I try!
Jade is the creative force behind We Dream in Color, one of the most beloved contemporary jewelry lines out there. Her aesthetic is bold, whimsical and inspired by nature, she makes stunning pieces in brass and crystal and she drenches much of her work in a glorious and distinctive patina. I love her work so much, I cast my vote for her to win a Chase Mission Main Street grant. Click here to vote for We Dream in Colour!
Jade’s book, Beautiful Bracelets By Hand, breaks the process all the way down step by step. Click here to buy a copy of your own – she makes 75 different pieces, the photos are beautiful and the instructions are super easy to follow.
Here’s what you need for this project:
5″ to 6″ (12.7 to 15.2 c,) length of chandelier crystals (these are 1″ or 2.5 cm across)
three 10mm round jump rings, 16-18 gauge
seven 6mm round jump rings, 16-18 gauge
one lobster clasp (this one is 25mm long)
head pins (optional)
And here’s what to do:
1. Using the round-nose pliers, grasp the end of a head pin wire and roll it around the plier nose to form a closed loop. If the pins are excessively long, you may need to trim them.
2. Begin linking your crystals with the 6 mm jump rings. Be sure to keep everything parallel.
3. When all the crystals are linked, attach the clasp to one end with two 6mm jump rings.
4. Attach the three 10mm jump rings to each other and then attach to the other end of the bracelet with a 6mm jump ring.
5. This is what it should look like on the back.
6. Shine on!
Looks super easy, right? I think I can do this one. Thank you for the guidance, Jade! Click here to check out We Dream in Colour and click here to buy her book, Beautiful Bracelets by Hand.
Do you make your own jewelry? Drop a link to your e-store so we can check you out! Share your jewelry making tips with me!