I’ve expressed my admiration for Janelle Monae a few times before. I first caught sight of her in the Outkast video for “Morris Brown”, which reminds me of an urban Who Framed Roger Rabbit. (I hope those guys never break up, the game needs their kind of creativity.)
I love her style. Homegirl is fierce. After I read the excellent Janelle Monae interview by Brian on Concrete Loop (I linked the cached version. Get well soon, Concrete Loop! I’m praying for you guys) I was decidedly intrigued by this very chic afrobella.
Then I read this FAQ blog entry on her magnificent My Space Janelle Monae page. The bolding is my own emphasis.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Top 3 Questions answered…
Current mood: thankful Category: Goals, Plans, Hopes
Hey Cybro’s and gals!!! I just wanted to take the time out to say THANK YOU for supporting me and my music! If you went out and bought the Outkast “Idlewild” album and saw the movie “Idlewild”, THANKS and I love you! Your support means a lot! I just wanted to also answer my “TOP 3″ asked questions.
The ..1 question is, “When is your album coming? Well, I don’t have any distribution right now. Purple Ribbon is an independent label and needs the support of a major label, like Jive, Def Jam, Interscope, etc to distribute my music or I just need someone to love me, as an artist, and my music as much as Wondaland Productions (my production company), Big Boi, and Purple Ribbon does and help us push the album. A company that would know how to market me, my music, and my whole life story, would really help out a lot! I have a few offers, but I am still making decisions. I am praying so hopefully it happens soon! The top of next year is what we are hoping for.
2. The next question is, “Is there any music we can purchase?” Yes! My song “Lettin’ Go!” is being sold on Itunes or on the “Big Boi Presents… Got Purp? Vol: II”! You can also get the Outkast “Idlewild” album on Itunes or in your local stores! I am featured on 2 songs, “Call the Law” and “In Your Dreams”. “Peachtree Blues” is also being sold on www.jaspects.com! Um…I think that is it though. I am saving all my music for my album… sorry. And you can always go to my http://www.myspace.com/janellemonae page or my official site, http://www.janellemonae.com ! Oops! You are already here, so feel free to listen to the music! And the last question,
..3, is “Who styles you and does your hair and make-up?” Well folks, sorry to say this but I DO! I do my own styling and my own tangled up hair! I can’t afford to pay anyone right now and I never like to inconvience anyone I don’t have to. I mean I may not do the BEST job, but if I can do it, I would just rather it be that way. However, I do go to P. Valentine and Controversy (two stores here in Atlanta) for some of my clothes! Fadia Kadar is the best! She helps me out when I need it! My schedule is getting very hectic, so hopefully i’ll have someone soon who can help shop for me, but now I pretty much am doing it. I do my make-up too, but in some of my pics the photographer had a very cool make-up artist there to help me. I also hate talking about my make-up and clothes and stuff, so next topic? Oh yeah, once again, I LOVE YOU ALL! Thanks for your support and KEEP dreaming!!!
Janelle Monae styles her own hair???
She’s my new heroine. Her ‘do is on point. I love the retro updo, and it looks great loose and wild. She inspired me to start a whole new regular segment! Two snaps a twist and a kiss for Miss Monae.
I’ll be experimenting with bobby pins this weekend.
Congrats, Janelle Monae! You might hate talking about hair and makeup, but you’re the very first Afrobella of the Week!
** edited on September 16 at 12:07 p.m.
I’m so excited! I sent a MySpace message and comment to Miss Monae about being Afrobella of the Week, and she actually responded! Janelle, you’re awesome. I’ll repost her response here:
Hey Darling! I just wanted to let you know that I really, REALLY appreciate your support! It means so much to me, to have someone positive and naturally beautiful admire what it is I am doing! I wish you more than the BEST in ALL that you aspire to do! Remember to keep DREAMING and don’t ever let your dreams die. The impossible has always been possible in my book…
–Janelle Monae (love Ya!)
Yay! I love when celebrities are down to earth and accessible. You’ve got a fan for life, Janelle Monae. To celebrate, here’s the video that inspired me. She’s so adorably retro chic here, rockin’ in the back seat of the Caddy.
Go Janelle Monae!
Category: Famous Faces
Sites That Link to this Post
- afrobella » Afrobella of the Week — Ayo | September 24, 2007
- One Night on South Beach, Two Up-and-Coming Celebrities | afrobella | July 18, 2008
- afrobella » Blog Archive » Janelle Monae’s New Jam | April 1, 2010
- Janelle Monaé Works the Tightrope « Christa Writes | April 6, 2010
- The Afrobella Interview. Janelle Monáe for Cover Girl! | Afrobella | September 17, 2012