I had such a great response to my last Eighties music post, I’m going to go back into the musical vaults more often. This week’s throwback jam is from 1990.

The early Nineties were such an embarrassing, funny, great period of fashion and music. Dudes in spandex biker shorts doing the Roger Rabbit. Chicks with bangs sprayed up four inches tall, wearing neon minidresses. I was ALL about it! I love the videos from the era – it’s just when mainstream rap started to get more raunchy (remember Candyman’s Knockin’ Boots?) but they weren’t yet really overtly filthy. It was around this time I actually needed a friend from school to tell me what O.P.P stood for. (And I was like, “ohhhhhhh…” So funny to think of that now).

So the song of the day goes with my post yesterday. No longer feeling “ugh,” today, I’m feeling Nicety. If you really want to know, just ask me.

Y’all remember Michel’le? The first time I heard her speaking voice, I was like – what the…? Is she for real? And yes, she was. And that squeaky voice made her unique and endearing to me. I loved Nicety, I LOVED No More Lies — aw, Dr. Dre looks so young and so not buff in that video — and Something in My Heart was the JAM. She was so perfect on the hook for We’re All In the Same Gang. I need an MP3 of that song, STAT. Anyone got a link for that?

So where’s Michel’le at now? She’s got an official MySpace with some newer material on there (and there’s a video for Hang Tyme on YouTube), but her website still says “coming soon.” No sign of a record deal or any new music dropping soon that I was able to find. Shame, too. I miss you, Michel’le!

Tell me your favorite jams from that early Nineties period – I’m gonna keep the throwbacks coming!

Tagged With:

Jaime says:
November 8, 2007, 11:36 am
I love the early 90s! Some of my favorites are: Shai Christopher Williams: All I See Rude Boyz: Written all Over your Face UNV: Something's Going On Portrait: Here We Go Ladae: Party Tonite Mint Condition Boyz II Men Positive K: I Got a Man "What's your man gotta do with me" LOL
Niki says:
November 8, 2007, 11:43 am
It would have to be anything Jodeci or Boys II Men. Any song by them instantly snaps me back to high school. Or "young and hungry" Mary J. Blige (I love that she's in a great place in her life now, but I do miss the earthiness of her "My Life" era). We used to jam to "Rump Shaker" by WrecksNEffect and "Electric Relaxation" by Tribe Called Quest. Good times!
Trinichica says:
November 8, 2007, 1:34 pm
Wow, what a great throwback! I used to get a kick out of how Michel'le's voice could switch from soulful songstress to a sqeaky mouse...amazing. She was definitely one of my favorites at that time..The first time I heard her sing, I was a cashier at Joyce Leslie on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn..I can't believe I actually remember that! The best for me were: Tony Terry - With You.....this song is my all time favorite!!! Jodeci - Forever my lady Joe - Everything - I love every song he sings! SWV - It's about time Mary J. Blige - What's the 411 Alliyah - Age Ain't Nothin but a Number Anita Baker - You're my Angel Sade - Love is stronger that pride Jonathan Butler - Do You Love Me? I could go on and on but I won't....Bella, have a old-school kinda day.. ;)
Demetria says:
November 8, 2007, 2:00 pm
I love the throwback jams! De La Soul- Buddy Jon B (aka the original Robin Thicke)- They Don't Know Color Me Badd- Sex You Up Prince- Gett Off En Vouge- Don't Go
Martha B. says:
November 8, 2007, 2:33 pm
I love Old School/New Jack Swing music, so this definitely made my day! After 7 - Can't Stop [I LOVE that song!], Ready or Not, and Heat of the Moment Mint Condition - What Kind of Man Would I Be, Pretty Brown Eyes, and You Send Me Swingin' Jon B. feat. Babyface - Someone to Love Al B. Sure! - Off on Your Own (Girl) Mariah Carey - Can't Let Go Blackstreet - Joy
Afrodite says:
November 8, 2007, 2:45 pm
Yeah, I remember Michel'e or however you spell her name. I remeber being shocked the first time I heard her voice. P.S. Is that Eazy-E?
Chelle says:
November 8, 2007, 4:01 pm
Wow Bella, You really pulled up a classic 90's jam. It's all starting to come back to me now. 90's fashion was crazeee, cross colours, Used jeans, hi top fades (the gumby), move something dresses, Starter Jackets and long denim jackets with air brushed artwork and rhinestones. 1990 I was doing the running man in gym class and roger rabbit at the bus stop. Ah, memories. I remember having Tony Toni Tone in constant rotation on my tape deck (Whatever You Want is my all time fave classic slow jam, close second is It Never Rains in Southern California). Money Love was my favorite female rapper. Don't ask me why but I was in love with Red Head Kingpin. I also loved Big Daddy Kane. I admit to liking Paula Abdul's first album but I was into dance so I claimed it was because she was a dancer. Janet's Rhythm Nation, hit and it was one of the best concerts ever. Still remember how everyone was dancing all night. BBD Poison was also popular at my school. I'm from Detroit, so it was always Hammer Time. If I look hard enough I can still find someone who hasn't quite left that era behind. I also recall a lot of dance/step routines. I think my sis and I taped the one from A Diff World where the girls were dressed in yellow tops and black biking shorts. We practiced it until we felt we could perfom in public. Yup, we were a little crazy back in the 90's. Great Post, Bella!
gee says:
November 8, 2007, 4:26 pm
Hey Chelle you can't forget about Pebbles, LOL. Anyway, I had Miche'le' CD but someone stole it during one of my overseas moves back from Germany :( Someone was talking about her on another site not too long ago, and I was shocked to know that she had a baby from both Suge Knight and Dr Dre. I hope she comes back because she's always had skills!
MoniMoni says:
November 8, 2007, 4:31 pm
Karen White- I Love The Way You Love Me Pebbles-Giving You The Benefit Heavy D and The Boyz - We've Got Our Own Thang Mary J. Blige --You Remind Me Can I also give a shout out to Tevin Campbell? I loved him! "Tell Me What You Want Me To Do", "Round and Round" "Tomorrow' "Can We Talk"...oh, the memories.
SJay says:
November 8, 2007, 4:40 pm
Babyface "I Give Good Love" and "Whip Appeal." 'Nuff said.
Demetria says:
November 8, 2007, 6:05 pm
Chelle, I am with you! I thought Redhead Kingpin was too fine! LOL I just posted a link to "Pump It Hottie" a few days ago on my blog.
Shonquayshah says:
November 8, 2007, 10:08 pm
ooooooooooowee! don't get me started! I LOVED me some Round the Way Girl by LLCoolJ my favorite Christopher Williams jam was "Dreamin'" from the New Jack City soundtrack! from the poor womans Christopher Williams a.k.a. Al B. Sure! (don;t forget the exclamation point! Night and Day. Color Me Bad, What? uh to the tick tock you don't stop! I'd like to request a double dose of anything by Jodeci and Mokenstef when you are having the foolywangest names for a group day post! Also, I would like some Craig Mack -Flavor in your Ear Remix and a sprinkling of Ill Al Scratch a dash of Poor Righteous Teachers and a teaspoon of Zhane! i could go on, but i'll be here all night!
MunyHuny says:
November 8, 2007, 10:47 pm
I was so sorry to hear you were having an ugh day yesterday because you always put a smile on my face! Thanks for all you do. I love all of your posts, but the music ones always take me back.
jerseybred says:
November 9, 2007, 1:17 am
Hey Bella, I'm happy you feel better today:)-just a few???? I know this is late 80's but I love this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa1cc8IPU9s Gangsta Lean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDXcI0BjbmM I'm Ready: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU9NHjQWOGU Understanding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiR4qOk8TH0 I'll Give All My Love To You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxDOwQMzqM Independent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9hpOhKNgtk Not Gonna Be Able To Do It http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izHMv-ZVsbw okay I'm going to sleep now
afrobella says:
November 9, 2007, 12:38 pm
So bellas... those of you who read the comments that is... woke up this morning to do my big Friday post that I worked on late last night, and my computer won't even turn on. Thank God I'm married to an IT guy. He's working to fix everything, but I won't be able to get a post up until it's done. My sincerest apologies, and I hope to be back up and running by later today. Fingers crossed. Back to some of those "ugh" day tips...
don says:
November 9, 2007, 6:16 pm
Michele was the bomb play back in the days. Love the first album the most. She covered all the bases from style, song and swagger. I never could understand how she sounded so grown on a mic, but so child-like everywhere else.
Tori says:
November 9, 2007, 7:01 pm
Yes, I love the 90's music. It was a good time then and the music was more "Love" being spoken. I wish i could go back.
SusieQ says:
November 9, 2007, 9:58 pm
I posted and I have not seen my listing.
SusieQ says:
November 9, 2007, 10:13 pm
Here we go again, For fun cleaning house songs : Shalamar's - Night to remember, Second time around. Cheryl Lyn's - Sweet kinda life, Got to be real King Floyd's - Groove me For a nice sensual tone for you and Hubby try : Howard Hewitt of Shalamar's " Once, twice, three times" and Jeffrey Osborne has done a smashing version of "Yes I'm ready" and also his song "Baby"; Keith Sweat's "Twisted" and "Am I dreaming" with Xscape and Keith will heat things up. I also like GQ's - " I do Love you" Xscape's "Who can I run to Oh and Ruben Studdard did Al Green's " How can you mend a broken heart" so finnnneeeeeeeee, I now listen to only his version, sorry Al. These are just a tip on the ice-burg of my choices.
Wendy says:
November 10, 2007, 4:23 am
Okay, I remember a lot of these tunes but I never knew and still don't know what OPP means. I was always too embarrassed to ask! Could someone please put my poor out of touch mind at ease?!
Kat says:
November 10, 2007, 4:55 am
Thanks Jaime for reminding me of Mint Condition...I killed Pretty Brown Eyes and 10 Million Strong in college. My jams were: Groove Theory: Tell Me Brand New Heavies: Never Stop; Brother Sister Anything by Chante' Moore Craig Mack: Flava in Ya Ear (still rock that on the IPod!!!) Fugees: The Score and da Vocab Jade: Don't Walk Away Cutty Ranks: A Who Seh Me Done And anything by Patra, Buju, Shabba (especially the Jam with KRS-One and Housecall with Maxi Priest) Thanks Afrobella...you've started another ITunes hunt for me!
amber says:
November 11, 2007, 12:25 am
*sings* i like the way you kiss me when we play the kissing game
Stunner says:
November 11, 2007, 7:41 pm
You are certainly right about the dress code of the early 90's. it was pretty bizarre! I have started posting some videos from back in the days myself, but mine is 90's Dancehall.
WryBeauty says:
November 12, 2007, 10:35 am
Oh my goodness! I loooove this song. My favorites of all time are Sheila E-Glamorous Life Klymaxx-Meeting in the Ladies' Room and any song by Prince.
kimabe says:
November 14, 2007, 11:57 am
WOOOOW...the 90's we're so funky fresh (lmbao) here's a few from my crate: The Jungle Brothers: "Girl I'll House You" Native Tongues: "The Buddy Song" Guy: "Groove Me" and "Piece of My Love" Wrecks N'Effect: "Rump Shaka" Stacy Lattisaw: " Let Me be Your Angel" Janet Jackson: "Love Will Never Do Without You" TLC: anything from them was the bomb Slick Rick:" Children's Story" (usta wop to that like a crazy fool) Inner City: "Good Life" (shout out to all the house heads @ the old Sound Factory in NYC) and...(drumroll) Johnny Kemp: "Just Got Paid" aww...this was so cool to go back to the time when music was just so so fun and I'll add thes two cuz these groups were the bomb: Eurythmics: "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" Annie lennox is oof the chain and Tears for Fears: "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" keep it groovin' yall...and ms bella thank u for takin' it back...kimabe, brooklyn
Amir Thompson says:
June 5, 2010, 10:51 pm
That song reminds me of another track which I really enjoyed listening to ... I can't really recall which :/ anybody happens to know who I am looking for?
Smokeless Cigarettes says:
November 18, 2010, 3:31 am
While I really like the post, I think there was an mistake close to the end of the fourth paragraph.