You know, I don’t care if it’s a wig or not. I think Erykah looks fly, and she’s repping afrobella style to the fullest.

I might not wear those Velma Dinkley glasses, but I’m glad somebody’s doing it. I love people who march to the beat of their own drummer, and that’ll be Ms. Badu till the end.

And in case you haven’t yet heard her new track Honey, check it out on Soulbounce. It grew on me, and now I can’t get enough. Can’t wait for her album to drop next month!

** upon reader request, I found a new photo so you can check out her fly leopard kicks!

COMMENTS

LB says:
January 16, 2008, 3:09 am
Wow. I'm going to check out that song ASAP. I was wondering when Ms Badu was going to make an appearance on the music scene. She definitely marches to the beat of a different drummer, but it certainly works for her.
Jacquie says:
January 16, 2008, 4:12 am
Ms. Badu's quaint style is one of the things I love about her. I am trying not to get my hopes up to high, expecting her album to be one of her best. Her new single had to grow on me also, but I am optimistic. I love me some Erykah regardless. :)
Bebroma says:
January 16, 2008, 8:22 am
I love Erykah's music. I'm looking forward to hearing her latest. She is very unique, but you never have to ask, when you hear one of her songs -- is that Erykah? You pretty much know, from the lyrics, her voice, her style, that it is! :-) Her song "Call Tyrone" is a great favorite with my mother and her friends, even though they blush guiltily and giggle through it, if you can believe that. They seem to find it very liberating to sing along, though they hit the pause button briefly for a word here and there.
Bebroma says:
January 16, 2008, 8:23 am
Pardon me, I meant mute button.
LeAnne@hairsmystory.com says:
January 16, 2008, 9:07 am
I love Miss Badu's hair. Although, I'm still depressed about it being a wig. Whoomp Whoomp Whooooooomp hairsmystory.com
1969 says:
January 16, 2008, 9:29 am
I applaud her for always doing....well, HER. She has her own style and she reps it to the fullest.
tracey in Ohio says:
January 16, 2008, 9:52 am
I love Ms. Badu's "style" no matter what it is cause she doesn't give a rat's butt what anybody thinks & that makes her all the more classy in my eyes. Every time I see a pic. of her doing her own thing (like the one shown) I smile & think 'go ahead, girl.' (LOL!)
simone says:
January 16, 2008, 10:55 am
i love the look -- and i really really like those bold funky glasses!
tanya says:
January 16, 2008, 10:57 am
I too applaud Erykah's style. I would love it if she came out with her own fashion line. If Katherine Heigl can have a line of scrubs marketed using her name, then Ms. Badu can bless us with some of her threads. The world is truly unjust.
read the article says:
January 16, 2008, 12:41 pm
Ms. Badu looks like she used her head to take care of dust bunnies under her bed and other housekeeping matters. If she ever stopped smoking weed, maybe she'd see that, in this particular picture, she looks like what is commonly referred to as "a hot ghetto mess".
Danielle J says:
January 16, 2008, 12:43 pm
I love Badu no matter what. I thought "Mama's Gun" was true artistic genius and continue to love her music. "Honey" is the jam as only Badu can do it.
ec says:
January 16, 2008, 1:56 pm
It is not a bad or a good look. she just looks stupid. plain and simple.
Vivrant Thang says:
January 16, 2008, 2:00 pm
You hit the nail right on the head, Bella. She marches to the beat of her own drum. While I may not agree with all of her fashion or hair choices, I admire her spunk and "I don't give a damn what ya'll think" attitude. I admire people who assert their right to be different. Shake up the status quo a bit. You should have shown her shoes too. Now those were hitting!
bella says:
January 16, 2008, 2:17 pm
I also like how polarizing she is. On Oh No They Didn't, lots of readers admired her fashion chutzpah, and her crazy fro. That's a predominantly white gossip blog. On Concrete Loop, there were lots of haters, who expressed disdain for her afro style. And we've got a few here too, apparently. Everything ain't for everybody, but it's just interesting to me how her look gets interpreted across cultural lines.
Afrodite says:
January 16, 2008, 2:54 pm
I didn't know Velma had a last name, lol!
JahGyal says:
January 16, 2008, 4:51 pm
Ok! So Eryka straight up and down bit my hairstyle. I plan to sue.
marineska says:
January 17, 2008, 12:08 pm
great look! independent, extravagant... cute one! and those glasses suits her immensly=)
Tycajam says:
January 17, 2008, 8:34 pm
Shame this is my first post, expecially when I've been lovin' Afrobella for a hot minute, but all things in time. You, my dear are an afrobella of the year on the real... On to the other reason for this post, you left her shoes out of the shot Mrs. Bella and they were the bidness!!
Licier says:
January 17, 2008, 10:41 pm
I love Ms. Badu for going left of the middle. And the shoes are hot!
Fiona says:
January 18, 2008, 3:09 pm
You go gurl - 'Honey' sounds sweet loving Erykah - she is unique in her music you cannot tell what vibe she will be sending out with her albums and love her style - to me she always keeps it real no matter if her hair is her's or in this case not ....... xx
Sisters45.com - Classy Black Women Pictures Gallery says:
January 20, 2008, 6:00 pm
Loving the afro... Glad the sister has always did self first... Not caring what others think, as more of us need to go natural literally...
Merc says:
January 21, 2008, 3:55 pm
I love the jacket, jeans, top and the S-H-O-E-S. Any ideas on the sources?
simone says:
January 21, 2008, 7:41 pm
yeah those shoes are on point. i agree bella - badu's cross-cultural translation is funny. i like how she is just so THERE. you can't not see her. remember that funny moment in the chappelle concert where her wig actually flies off and she just keeps on rocking it.
Tawanda says:
March 4, 2008, 7:37 am
The Shoes are by YSL (Yves Saint Laurent) and yes they are HOTT!!!!
fashion magazine says:
March 25, 2012, 2:30 pm
Thanks for every other informative web site. The place else may I am getting that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a project that I'm just now working on, and I've been at the look out for such info.