I just saw on one of my favorite gossip sites — that’d be Oh No They Didn’t — that Robin Thicke’s about to drop a new album, and here’s his latest song. I’m feeling it! Very old school, drenched with horns, and it’s got a beat that gets my head nodding and my foot tapping. It’s a song you can step to, and I can definitely see it being a hit on the dance floor at a wedding or something. According to my number one favorite music blog, Soulbounce, the preview of his newest album, Something Else has been well received. Soulbounce also added this — “remember when he was just “Thicke”? When his music was edgier and he looked like Jesus?

Um, YES! Yes, I indeedy do. Confession time — I had a big ol’ crush on Robin Thicke when he was riding his bike through the streets of New York City. Y’all remember what I’m talking about? If you don’t, here’s his first hit — When I Get You Alone.

I distinctly remember the first time I saw this video — it was on during the day on BET, you know, when they stray from the 106th and Park playlist and occasionally throw on something progressive? The video was such a breath of fresh air. Like, what’s this white Jesus looking dude doing, riding a bike and jumping over cars on BET? So different and fun and high energy. It was his overall delivery — dynamic, in your face but not obnoxious about it, and riding over that disco A Fifth of Beethoven sample. I loved it, but Thicke didn’t blow up big time until he dropped Lost Without You, but by then he’d cut the hair and gone all Jon B. style. He’s still a cutie — infinitely more attractive than Justin Timberlake if you ask me… which you didn’t, LOL. But I do miss the edgier, hairier Robin Thicke.

If you haven’t given Robin Thicke a listen just yet, I’ll tell ya — A Beautiful World is a great album. And I do like Evolution, but it’s a slicker package altogether.

What say you, bellas? New Robin Thicke? Old Thicke? Or none at all?

COMMENTS

Shana says:
May 15, 2008, 5:42 pm
Ok I LOVED Thicke! Still have that first CD that a lot of people slept on, it was really good. Oh Shooter (without the Lil Wayne remix) and Stupid Things...stayed on Heavy Rotation, in fact I think I need to add it to my iPod. I like the more mainstream ROBIN Thicke also but I was a fan of Thicke so Im going with the old school version. Thanks for this post!
Eli says:
May 15, 2008, 5:53 pm
Not, "what’s this white Jesus looking dude doing, riding a bike and jumping over cars on BET?" I think I thought the same thing! Great flashback. - Eli
regina says:
May 15, 2008, 7:15 pm
I didn't know who Robin Thick back then and sorry but I must say I much prefer him now to then! he looks like Weird Al Yankovich to me, just without the glasses. He is smooth though and I like him!...now!
maria says:
May 15, 2008, 7:38 pm
I loved "When I Get You Alone" when it first came out. Its too bad he didn't have the right image at the time, otherwise it could've been a hit. At least a club hit. I like the new song and yeah it does sound old skool. I wish him luck!
nappygwen says:
May 15, 2008, 7:59 pm
LOVED LOVED Thicke!!! I played the crap out of "When I get you alone"! I saw that video only once during the day, too---maybe the same day, Bella...Anyway, I also had a serious crush on him and still have hopes he will grow out the hair again. A girl can dream...
Krystal says:
May 15, 2008, 8:11 pm
I like every evolution of Robin Thicke..corny right but I remember "When I Get You Alone" I remember thinking he looked like white Jesus too.
Robin says:
May 15, 2008, 8:13 pm
Love Robin Thicke! Just love him! From the first time I saw this video. He definitely wasn't the studio packaged white boy trying to hard to have some soul. A Beautiful World (also released as Cherry Blue Skies) was that shiznit. "Suga Mama", "Stupid Things", and the original "Oh Shooter" were just a few of the classics on that album. And I just thought it was so cool that he was Alan Thickes son. He was pretty cool himself. I waited patiently on "Evolution" and I was not disappointed. Now I can't wait for the new cd to drop!
p1tey1 says:
May 15, 2008, 8:13 pm
I'm late!!!!! Today is the first time I've ever seen this video or heard the song. I didn't learn about Robin until "Lost without you". I enjoyed the video. I'll pay more attention to him now.
adb7 says:
May 15, 2008, 8:18 pm
I say all Robin Thicke! ;-)
mona says:
May 15, 2008, 9:35 pm
"I had a big ol’ crush on Robin Thicke when he was riding his bike through the streets of New York City." Ditto that, Bella!! I first heard "When I get you alone" in that Sprite commercial. Like someone said earlier, people kinda slept on Thicke's first CD. And I was just as impressed with his last album (I looooove "Everything I Can't Have"). I like the old and the new Thicke, as long as the music keeps coming!
Bebroma says:
May 15, 2008, 9:56 pm
Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm!!! Love me some Thicke, old and new.
Jen. A says:
May 15, 2008, 10:10 pm
Gasp...I LOVED this video back when it was first being aired on BET! I had no clue that this was the Robin Thicke of today until you pointed it out! Thanks for making the connection, because I'm sure that many people have been sleeping on what Thicke can really do with his vocals and talent!
Bee says:
May 15, 2008, 10:55 pm
I'm a fan of both. I look forward to the new album. I hope his commercial success has helped him earn more creative freedom on this album. If you enjoy Robin's "blue-eyed soul," check out Jamie Lidell (free streams on Rhapsody). Jamie's sound is a little more soul compared to Robin's more contemporary R&B feel.
Sabrina97 says:
May 15, 2008, 11:53 pm
I thought I was the only person to remember Robin Thicke when he looked like should part water! I love this song.... although I love Robin Thicke's style now, I wonder if he would have had the success that he has had he stayed Thicke?
nyc/caribbean ragazza says:
May 16, 2008, 4:15 am
I am a fan of both. I met him for a film project right before he cut off all his hair. He is one of the nicest, down-to-earth people in Hollywood. Most people with famous parents are bananas. I am so happy he is doing well. The record company was going to drop him. They had no money in the budget for the "Lost Without You" video which is why his wife Paula Patton is in it. ha. Looking forward to hearing his latest.
tanya says:
May 16, 2008, 7:51 am
All kinds of Robin Thicke for me too! In that screencap, he does look like Weird Al Yankovic though. Good catch, regina. Funny.
ceecee says:
May 16, 2008, 8:40 am
first time seeing the old robin thicke....loves it!! love him now too! it's really interesting to see how he's changed, now I can understand why he named his other album evolution cos he really did evolve looks wise but his sound is still amazing.
Aisha Kelson says:
May 16, 2008, 9:24 am
I'll take Robin Thicke any way you give him. I didn't know who he was when the video for "When I Get You Alone" came out. I just remember liking the song, alot. Then when "Lost Without You" came out. . . it hit hard. Once I realized it was the same guy, I was hooked. I like his swagger & the boy has talent. . .real talent. I heard the track "Magic" from the new album and I can't wait till it drops. Pure hottness!!!
nicola says:
May 16, 2008, 9:39 am
Jon B is still around making good music, he is still the best of the blue eyed soul boys. Justin is being fake and using black culture to sell records, but I actually think Jon B and Robin Thicke are genuinely interested in making soul music. Hence why they have never gone pop
Cynthia says:
May 16, 2008, 10:11 am
I love him either way. He tops Justin in every way, possible. I'll have to peep his new song. I loved his first album!
Vivrant Thang says:
May 16, 2008, 10:17 am
Nova's a fool isn't he? When he looked like Jesus. LOL! I wasn't familiar with Robin Thicke when he looked like Jesus so I had to backtrack. I fell in love with him immediately with Evolution. I've always had a thing for blue-eyed soul though. Loved Jon B as well. Where is he now?! Anyway, although I loved the first album (beautiful cover too) I have to go with today's RT. I must say from looking at this video and listening to the album, he is much slicker now. But Slick Rob is okay with me.
DH says:
May 16, 2008, 10:28 am
Thanks for the vid!!!!!! I have this single at the crib. I'll take old Thicke, new Thicke, "Magic" Thicke, "When I Get You Alone" Thicke, "Brand New Jones" Thicke............Shall I continue? LOL
Niki says:
May 16, 2008, 10:34 am
I love Robin Thicke in any form! I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly when he was still rocking the long hair. He is gorgeous in person--sparkling blue eyes, teeth that would put any toothpaste commercial to shame, and (at the time) a mane of wavy brown hair. Tall (about 6 foot or so) too! Jon B is still making very good music. If you have never heard of his last album "Stronger Everyday" (relased about 3 years ago) run to your record store or go on amazon and cop that immediately! LOL Still looking forward to the *very* long-awaited release of his new album "Hopeless Romantic". Jon is remarried and is a daddy to a little girl (who should be celebrating her 1st b-day soon).
Candy says:
May 16, 2008, 10:54 am
I remember the old Robin. But, I didn't remember his name. When I realized that the old and new were the same person, I was surprised. I'm not a huge fan, but I do believe he is talented and I LOVE his wife Paula. Peace Candy
Danielle J says:
May 16, 2008, 11:37 am
Loved the long-haired Robin. When he was just "Thicke". I loved the swagger, attitude and edge. I remember way back when he was w/Andre Harrell doing the Sprite commericals. Love this video and I'm pleased for his success. The new joint is fantastic! I was bobbing my head at work listening to it on Soulbounce.
anon says:
May 16, 2008, 11:54 am
I'm on Team Thicke! I can't deny his looks or his talents.
heyhey says:
May 16, 2008, 2:00 pm
I *liked* this song, love "Oh Shooter", turn the sound off when "Lost Without You" video comes on (so overplayed, but he's still pretty). One track I really enjoy is "Got To Be Down", his duet w/ Faith Evans. Both artists seem slept on to me, and there's a Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrel thing subtly happening there that I dig. Is it just me or does he got a soulful Orlando Bloom/Skinny Eric Dane thing going on?
Mikala says:
May 16, 2008, 2:02 pm
I love Thicke! Its so funny so many people thought he looked like a white Jesus just like I did. This man has talent and is a looker! Stupid things is my fav.
DiosaNegra1967 says:
May 16, 2008, 2:33 pm
I L-O-V-E this song, bella! Give me "original recipe" Robin Thicke anytime! OK, he looks nice and "cleaned up" now, and that's all well and good...but.... True, his first release WAS slept on....but, that usually happens when most A&R reps don't know what to do with ya! And, anyone who lifts one of my fave trax, "A 5th of Beethoven"....gets love instantly! I figured he was too young to know that one!
DiosaNegra1967 says:
May 16, 2008, 2:34 pm
Everytime I see Justin, I just wanna grab a Kleenex and wipe his nose!
nikki says:
May 16, 2008, 2:56 pm
see? I thought I was the only person who loved him. Hard to believe that his dad is "Jason Seaver" from Growing Pains, huh? Robin is beautiful, talented and deserves all the kudos he gets. And the fact that he married his high school sweetheart is just extra points for me. I RAN to get Evolution when it dropped because I loved the first CD so much.
alltalk says:
May 16, 2008, 3:43 pm
old (and new)! I LOVE LOVED LOVED the alternative funk of his early days, but am also feeling his r&b vibe these days. I'm def. a fan!
Urbancurlz says:
May 16, 2008, 4:32 pm
I sleep with my TV on at night, so one night I was awaken by Robin Thicke crooning to Li' Wayne's "Shooter" remix. I woke up the next morning and had the song in my head but thought it was a just dream, until I pulled out a copy of my hubby's Lil Wayne CD. I was hooked on Robin from that point on. I did not know much about him when he made the Thicke album, but I love his old and new style. Thanks for this post; I am going to play the Thicke CD on my way home to relax from a long week. Have a great weekend.
nolagirl says:
May 16, 2008, 5:07 pm
ok so I knew that song, but never had put two and two together to know that that was him. I think I like new slick Robin..... but I didn't know I knew old Robin.
kaliber says:
May 16, 2008, 5:42 pm
Bella you speak the truth! that first Thicke album was on SUCH heavy rotation in my house -- on my CD Player as it was back then! i had the ill crush on 'jesus' robin thicke, too so it waws hard to get used to his now slicked out sound. think that Beautiful World was fun 'meet the girl' music whereas his Evolution sounds more like 'make a baby' music. maybe thats just me? cant wait to see what he does next! (furthermore, anybody know where MAXWELL is?)
Jai says:
May 16, 2008, 7:49 pm
I love the new song. I don't care what Robin looks like as long as he keeps making good music. @ kaliber, I don't know where Maxwell is. He's been gone for so long I don't even miss him anymore.
alltalk says:
May 16, 2008, 8:15 pm
Maxwell has had a sample of a song on his myspace for a while (myspace.com/maxwell). I've been waiting since Valentines day 2007 for this release. Wish he'd hurry up!
Los Angelista says:
May 16, 2008, 8:21 pm
Old Robin seemed more himself and less like a Pharrell/Timberlake wannabe. But I'll give new Robin a pass because of Got 2 Be Down with Faith Evans. That song is amazing!
Ann says:
May 16, 2008, 9:37 pm
Oh yes, I love Robin Thicke. I love his sound now and thought he was slept on then. He has always had some sex appeal. Someone else who has got the goods but has not been around in a while, Remy Shand. He released an album in 2001 on the Motown label. I think he came out at the wrong time. You could play his whole CD on repeat for your next summer barbeque. It is jammin'. You gotta check him out.
SusieQ says:
May 16, 2008, 11:46 pm
I prefer him now, he has this song "Can U Believe" have you ever heard that one? It just gives me this good feeling that there is hope in everything if you reach for it. It is my fav. The video is great too, and I just love when he does those whooh!
Mezzo_Soprano says:
May 17, 2008, 10:35 pm
I have NEVER heard that song nor seen that video. That was HOTTTTTTTTTTTT!! Love him and his music.
kiki says:
May 18, 2008, 1:02 am
I saw Thick's video once when I was shopping in Belk and fell in love with the jesus looking man. It wasn't until after 'Evolution' dropped did I make the connection. to kaliber - the page that Afrobella linked this from "soulbounce" was doing a really good job of keeping up with Maxwell and what's going on with his new cd but the news can only tell you what Maxwell chooses to share. Things have been really quiet the last few months but his blogs are interesting.
SusieQ says:
May 18, 2008, 4:28 pm
Mezzo_soprano try you tube.
SusieQ says:
May 18, 2008, 4:29 pm
Sorry its Youtube.
SusieQ says:
May 18, 2008, 4:31 pm
Just type in Robin Thicke - Can U believe and I promise you will like it.
gorgeousblackwomen says:
May 19, 2008, 12:35 am
Wow. That haircut took his sex appeal up from about a 2 to a solid 9. The drug habit makes him lose a point.
linda says:
May 19, 2008, 8:57 am
only a point, woman?? at any rate, that video was better than coffee for my morning.
mk says:
May 19, 2008, 9:21 am
Omg, I remember that video! I used to jam to that song because he sounded so real like he really wanted it! lol. I didn't even recognize him when he came back out as Robin Thicke. Paula Patton is a lucky woman
Morgan says:
May 19, 2008, 3:15 pm
Yea i was up on Robin when he was just Thicke too. The first album had great variety and the new one he kind goes all r&b. You can even hear Beatles influences in Beautiful World. Stupid Things is my cut. oh yea, two words, "She's Gangsta"
Janice says:
May 19, 2008, 4:49 pm
"dynamic, in your face but not obnoxious about it, and riding over that disco A Fifth of Beethoven sample" The old head here to tell you he is singing over A Fifth Of Beethoven (Based On Beethoven's Fifth Symphony) by Walter Murphy from the saturday night fever soundtrack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjxm_PhG-Fw
Janice says:
May 19, 2008, 4:50 pm
Sorry true old head and can't read.
Topaz says:
May 21, 2008, 1:36 am
That song is so ....wow. I'm speechless. It's just plain hot. His voice is smooth. I remember when he was just Thicke too! Hes the reason I started liking R&B/NeoSoul
Afrodite says:
May 21, 2008, 1:37 am
I just saw this video like two days ago and fell in love with it all over again. I'll take the Jesus-like Thicke over the pretty boy Thicke.
kaliber says:
May 21, 2008, 10:03 am
(shaking fist at sky) thanks ALOT kiki, now im addicted to ANOTHER blog! no seriously, soulbounce is a new fav now and apparently they stan on Maxwell as hard as i do. its a match made in heaven =)
SolShine7 says:
May 28, 2008, 3:43 pm
I'm glad he cut his hair. He and Paula Patton are such a cute couple.
RM says:
June 20, 2008, 3:44 am
Thicke is kinda whack next to Jonb. Cant wait for jon's new album to drop!
Julie 21 says:
June 20, 2008, 3:46 am
Thicke is kinda all over the place, he's a boy. JonB is a man!
Madame Z says:
July 1, 2008, 7:17 pm
I listen to "A Beautiful World" far more than I do the "Evolution" album. But I like them both and I like him. ;)
cruddy says:
November 4, 2008, 12:07 pm
Well actually I am a fan of the "Brand New Jones" Robin. He was hot. He had the haircut but not alot and he was wirey. Everyone always goes for the Get You Alone, but check out Brand New Jones. And actually, I don't get the difference. And artist is suppose to evolve, so there is no comparison to the two cd's. They are just a reflection of time. I love Suga Mama just as much as I love Loverman.
Purity says:
August 3, 2009, 12:57 am
I've been searching for this song for years now...but I could never get the artist...all I remembered was him being in the Sprite commercial...lol.....but little did I know that it was Robin Thicke...damn, so late...maybe I could've been the sista to scoop him up...I say all of Robin Thicke...he's luscious!!