I gotta tell y’all, the Erykah Badu concert experience was truly, truly remarkable. I’d planned to do a whole giant review, but I think Rich from Four Four, and the amigo Jonathan Cunningham both reviewed it so eloquently, I didn’t think I could add much more. They captured every nuance.

I’ll say this — I echo Jonathan’s sentiment completely — I wish The Roots played longer. We arrived during Proceed, and more than half of the amphitheater was still empty.

They did a sick medley of covers, ranging from Kool and the Gang’s Jungle Boogie to Mims’ This is Why I’m Hot. I have some video, and I’ll try to upload it (if it’s good enough). It was over too soon. And also I gotta add, Black Thought is a surprisingly good singer! He busted out some Teddy Pendergrass stylee, I was feeling it. LOL. Also, I love the theatrics of the phenomenally talented Captain Kirk Douglas, but I know I wasn’t the only one who wished Erykah had joined them on “You Got Me.” Just because. I mean, c’mon. She’s right there backstage!

Erykah opened so strong — strutting and voguing on a mirrored stage, she and her backup singers really put on a compelling, stunning show. Of her newest material, The Healer was a highlight, and Soldier is my new favorite song. She held the audience in the palm of her hand for that one. It’s set to be her next single, and it’s already a bona fide classic. Here’s the VH1 Soul performance, if you haven’t yet got a copy of New Amerykah Vol. 1.

Yes, siree.

Her overall performance was dynamic, striking, moody, complex, and yes — interpretive. She’s an inspiration, a creative dervish, a true icon. There was a definite lag in crowd energy during some of her slower songs — I was shocked at how many people left well before the encore. But she did play a two-hour set, and it was a school night. If you’re an Erykah fan who’s on the fence and wondering if you should shell out the bucks to see this show, I’d say go for it. Erykah’s Vortex is an experience worth having, and you get your money’s worth. You’ll leave feeling rebooted, refreshed, and restarted.

Click here for a slideshow of photos by Logan Fazio.

COMMENTS

Mrs.Mckinzie says:
May 21, 2008, 5:40 pm
I'm happy that you enjoyed yourself girl.I know that show was off the chains.
Sabrina97 says:
May 21, 2008, 7:54 pm
Did I mention that I am SO jealous?
Ms. Independent says:
May 21, 2008, 9:29 pm
Just saw her Sunday night when she came to Richmond!!
alltalk says:
May 21, 2008, 10:12 pm
glad you enjoyed the concert! I am planning to see her on June 3 at the Depot in Salt Lake City. I sooo excited to hear it's worth it!
tanya says:
May 21, 2008, 10:46 pm
wow, it sounds like a really good concert. thank you for sharing. i absolutely LOVE that picture of her. she is so beautiful. must find a way to see this concert!
Khady says:
May 22, 2008, 3:31 am
Lucky!!! Love Erykah badu!! But yeah...Lucky!! hehehe
unknowndiva says:
May 22, 2008, 7:40 am
you mirror my sentiments exactly. i was sooooo inspired when i left the concert it was remarkable. erykah is definitely da bomb!!!!
No Nonsense says:
May 22, 2008, 10:32 am
I have never been to an Erykah concert that I didn't leave feeling wow. She is one of the greatest contemporary performers out there and I actually think her live concerts sound so much better than the album
Wes says:
May 22, 2008, 2:11 pm
AWWWWW!!! I'm still jealous!!!!! Love Badu... Love her, love her, love her!
Jacquie says:
May 23, 2008, 12:43 am
My husband and I will experience Ms. Badu & The Roots on May 30th here in Chicago. I am super excited!!
justblack says:
May 23, 2008, 10:46 am
I was there! Mizner was the perfect venue for her. Great concert. She is a true artist.
Elizabeth Jote says:
May 26, 2008, 8:27 pm
I went to see Ms. Badu at Radio City and I have to say that she gave the audience a workout! What a long set! Everything was a true Badu , futuristic experience! The tickets were extremely pricey , but I would gladdly shell out more to be closer to her creative food. She give's you double your money's worth.
Marie says:
May 28, 2008, 5:38 pm
Oh i'm SO jealous! I have been wanting to see her live for years. great writeup... lucky you! :)
kungfuchicken says:
May 30, 2008, 9:13 am
Just went to the show last night in St Louis and we were there for 4 hours! It was a beautiful thing:) Great seats and The Roots are oficially one of the best bands EVER!! We have seen them at least five times now and every time they get better...love them! Erykah was fantastic! This was our first time seeing her perform live and we were not disappointed. She is thoughtful, soulful and all around fierce!
Gloria says:
June 5, 2008, 3:09 pm
I agree with "No Nonsense" she sounds better live than in her album. My favorite recent one is "Soldier" (the one you played) and my ultimate favorite is "Didn't Cha Know". She seems to have a beautiful soul and her music gives me chills.
Lady Teetah says:
June 6, 2008, 4:00 pm
Is E. Badu channeling Miss Jack Davey these days? Still, she's tres adorable and I'm sure her show, as well as THE ROOTS set, was excellent.
heyhey says:
June 10, 2008, 1:48 pm
Bella, don't know if you read responses to older posts, but just fyi @ the first Oakland show didn't encore! No interpretive dance version of "Green Eyes" that I've seen on Rich's review nor Youtube. Did she do it in Miami? Just curious. I was disappointed because I love that song (al 10+ minutes of it). Otherwise awesome show, and agreed MUCH respect to Cap'n Kirk's crazy skills and The Roots Crew. Their set was HOTTTTT and I will totally see them again.