Accept No Substitute

In April I gave a shout out to the chic and elegant Estelle, and I shared my favorite cut from her album Shine — her cover of No Substitute Love by reggae legend Half Pint.

Via my favorite music blog Soulbounce, I learned that it’s her third single off the album. AND there’s a new video, which is just summery eye candy with a hat tip to George Michael’s Faith. Celeb pals like Kelly Rowland and, Amanda Diva, and Christian Siriano stop by for fun cameos. Estelle is ferosh in her super bold eye makeup and hot pink dress, and she throws traditional makeup rules to the wind by going with a bold eye AND a bold lip.

I hope this song gets her increased airplay — I do tend to hear American Boy bubbling out of the speakers at trendy boutiques, but I am not hearing a ton of radio play for Estelle here in Miami, sad to say. Are you, in your neck of the woods? Let me know — I’m looking for some good online radio stations to stream during the work day.

If you like Estelle’s sassy version, you might love the original by Half Pint. Here it is, for your Monday listening pleasure!

Did you like that? Then you’ll definitely love his greatest hits album, titled — what else? — Half Pint. Every track is a winner, IMO.

Let’s get through this Monday madness, bellas — peace be with you as your work week begins.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. TrueGem says:

I love Estelle. The video is just ok, but I always like her makeup. She and I have similar features, and skin tone, so she inspires me to try different looks. My fav song by her is “Come Over”. Its very sexy…love it.

PS-didn’t listen to the Half Pint version. I just got done watching “School Daze” and that name reminds me of Spike Lee’s character in the movie!! funny!

2. I haven’t listened to the radio in ages (too many commercials!) but I do listen to Estelle almost everyday – via my iPod! I stopped trusting radio stations to give me good music a long time ago, so I just stick with downloading songs from iTunes or my own CDs. I do have XM radio, but I have it mainly to listen to Gayle King, Dr. Oz and now The Peetes (Holly Robinson Peete and Rodney Peete).

3. All you progressive politacally minded people should check out this new video it’s ridiculous:

4. I <3 this song!!! I already loved GM’s Faith, but the fact that she redid it with much sass and class, I say go Estelle! But sorry girlie, I don’t listen to the radio much out here…Detroit stations are horrid when it comes to playing real music over the same beat snap crap rap (i.e. everything is Soldier Boy and other crappy artists that rap about one word per minute, oh and the same 10 Lil Wayne songs).

The radio disgusts me. But yea, I usually hit Last.fm for new music recommendations from my global friends list.

5. I hear Estelle everywhere here in Rome. At bars/cafes, gelato shops, cool clothes store, on the raido. She is really blowing up here.

I downloaded her next two singles from iTunes and have been playing them non-stop. I really like her voice and her style. She’s a breath of fresh air. Like TrueGem I have a similar complexion to Estelle and her make-up choices are inspiring.

6. Mrs.Mckinzie says:

I just heard this song yesterday,and I really like it.I do hear “American Boy” on the radio everyday in Maryland.92Q in Baltimore,and 95.5 in D.C are two of the best stations in my area.Estelle is talented,and I would pay for tickets to her concert knowing that i’ll get my monies worth.

7. SoFrolushes says:

yes this is a nice addition for summer
    i think this is a really good cover

8. tycajam says:

Estelle is the hotness! I do like this video. (was that a cameo by that guy who won the last project runway?) She always seems like she’s in her own world with her styltastic approach to everything from makeup to swag to swagger. There’s something about Estelle for real!

I get the same wonderful feeling listening to her that I did when I first heard RES rock out. I just hope that unlike RES – who I still love, love, love… Estelle gets the buying audience to go along with the critical love.

Don’t do too much radio, unless we’re talking pandora.com, Sugar City Roc – a local online station from my island or my ipod during the workday.

Thanks for the love to begin the workweek!

Peace Bella!

9. Prima Donna says:

Estelle is fabulous! What a talent. I think its great that she moved to the states to pursuit her dreams, ultimately black british artists are forced to because the british music industry is dead for black urban artists.

The video however did look cheap, I think its better to do a simple cheap classy video than do one that has a lot going on but still looks tacky.

10. i love the fact that black music is taking a turn! stuff is getting unique! its not the typical rnb jams that u heard all the time. plus i love British music!! to me anything that comes from over the pond is better than whats over here..

11. Sabrina97 says:

I love Estelle! I agree with che…. it’s about time music got original again. Once again another rap album comes out with the same ol’ same ol’… it’s simply refreshing to have artists that know that we want to hear musicality and fresh lyrics. I also am really feeling her style is this video! I love the big a** black bracelet she has on with the black dress!

12. Sumatra77 says:

Hi Bella,
    Definately check out http://www.slacker.com
    It’s an awesome site with great music. I love chill out/lounge music and they always play awesome music(one of my new favorites is Morcheeba).
    I’ve used Pandora in the past but it requires a bit too much interaction for me. ;-)

13. I LOVE Estelle’s CD. I find it refreshing! And of course, it’s nice that she has a Caribbean flavor…

14. Naturally DevaSTing says:

Best internet radio station hands down is projectvibe.net – they play a mix of afro-beats, deep house, jazz and neo-soul……..In one sitting, you will hear everything from Groove Theory, Soul II Soul, Maxwell, Fela Kuti and Common!!!! Very dope!!!!

It is a great way to get you through you a day job :)

Enjoy Bellas

15. Yay! I am so glad this is the next single. Idolator’s doing a “summer jam contest” and they used her “American Boy”, whereas I can easily see “Substitute Love” playing during a grown and sexy backyard party on a breez-y sunday afternoon.

16. Hello! I understand this is kind of off-topic but I needed to ask.
    Does operating a well-established website such aas yours require
    a lot of work? I’m completely new tto running a blog however
    Iddo writre in my journal every day. I’d like to start a blog so I
    cann share my experience and views online. Please
    let me know if you have any suggestions or tips for brand new aspiring blg owners.
    Thankyou!