“She was born in Compton. I was born in Trinidad, the most southerly island in the Caribbean. She was raised to become a tennis superstar. In high school, my tennis instructor quietly took my parents aside and let them know that their child was ”more of an academic.” But now that we’re both grown women, for the first time I can truly identify with Serena Williams.

So begins my first ever article published on The Root! Titled Serena Williams, Big Butts and the Painful Path to Self-Love, it’s all about having a big booty and learning to love it (and the rest of your body).

It was a difficult piece to write, so I really hope you like it. It would absolutely mean the world to me if you’d read and comment on The Root – please click here to do so. I hope to do more of this kind of writing soon – so watch out now! I’ll be sure to keep you posted on my articles wherever they appear!

Simone says:
July 22, 2010, 6:29 pm
I'm glad you're doing the sort of writing you want. I'm of mixed mind about the topic of the article tho, but that's just me. Congrats...
Nicole says:
July 22, 2010, 9:33 pm
I enjoyed reading the article. It is good to be different.
bella says:
July 22, 2010, 10:32 pm
thanks for reading it - the topic wasn't of my choosing, to be absolutely honest. But I did the best I could with it!
bella says:
July 22, 2010, 10:32 pm
and we should embrace and love our differences! Thanks for commenting!
darlene says:
July 23, 2010, 10:36 am
Bella, your articles are so thought provoking and honest. sharing your [and in this case Serena's] body-image struggles, causes me to realize how my insecurities impact my day-to-day life. no matter who we are and where we originate, women share a common desire and it is to be accepted. we realize our true power when we accept ourselves first. your work steadily reminds me of this. thank you! btw - i would not have known that you didn't like the subject because the final product aligns closely with the message of your other posts (like this week's ask afrobella). good job.
Amneris says:
July 23, 2010, 2:16 pm
Congrats!!!! My mom loved the article and posted it on facebook.
Dasheen Magazine says:
July 23, 2010, 3:04 pm
Bella, I posted my comment over at the Root as directed. Thanks for the thought provoking article and the introduction to another great online community.
Jean says:
July 24, 2010, 9:03 pm
Bella, girl like we say in Trini,luv yuh Bamsee(heavy duty bottom).You don't want a roti bam bam... Good job.
Laquita says:
July 25, 2010, 7:09 pm
Great article - I was all smiling when I saw your name :o)
Bri says:
July 27, 2010, 9:35 am
Hailing from Trinidad as well. Saw your link popping up on my Facebook news feed via Outlish -- had to vibes you. LOVe your site, LOVE what you're doing. I'm rocking a fro too :) Stopped by to say hullo.
nadia says:
July 29, 2010, 10:33 am
Thumbs Up all the way with your article and your work
http://www.Muxi.org says:
March 30, 2014, 11:25 am
Hi, Neat post. There's an issue along with your website in web explorer, could test this? IE nonetheless is the marketplace chief and a big component to other people will miss your wonderful writing because of this problem.