Can I just say that I love that Essence Magazine – and ESPECIALLY Essence.com – is showing natural hair SO much LOVE lately? Keep it up, Essence!

I was tapped to write a piece on transitioning, natural hair and locs for their special Hot Hair Issue, which is currently on newsstands. I promise to share scans as soon as I go get myself a copy! And today on Essence.com I found myself mesmerized by a brief video clip of Goapele. The gorgeous songstress gets her hair braided in such beautiful and intricate style.

Utterly gorgeous.

Inspiring!

I love the versatility of our beauty, bellas. And this video underscores it so well.

Utterly gorgeous! Here’s to Goapele – and her INCREDIBLE stylist. I need to know her name!

Can’t wait to see the whole video – and to hear the song, which will be on her new album, Milk and Honey. Click here for details.

The single is available on Amazon, so check it out!

Filed Under:Uncategorized

COMMENTS

NinaG says:
October 14, 2010, 3:45 pm
Nice! I want to thread my hair now!!!
kinky pinky says:
October 14, 2010, 5:40 pm
I loved your article! I didn't realize you wrote it until now but I really did love it. I've been running around Brooklyn like a crazy woman trying to find this issue of Essence and it was definitely worth the journey, brief as it was. Again, congrats! ~kinky pinky
africaliving says:
October 14, 2010, 7:00 pm
Thank you for this! It reminds me of the styles from the 1970s/80s that I saw on women from Ghana and Nigeria growing up. Goapele comes out of hiding every now and then in the Bay Area where I live. We saw her open for Erykah Badu last spring and her style was impeccable! Any chance you can find out who her stylist is in the video? (And doesn't her hairstyle remind you of this print you brought to our attention awhile back: http://ilovemyhair.bigcartel.com/product/untitle-hair-orange )
Sabrina says:
October 14, 2010, 7:19 pm
That new Hot Hair magazine also has quotes from Camille from Noire Designs and Brittany Thomas of Lockrocker.com....they are both "hair friends in my head" and Twitter peeps and it's awesome to see them getting love from Essence!
Sabrina says:
October 14, 2010, 7:20 pm
Wait a minute....you wrote that article!?! Go Bella!
Tasha says:
October 14, 2010, 8:11 pm
So beautiful. I am stuck wondering how she gets the mohawk hair to wrap or "banana" like that. I'm also wondering if her stylist studied up on Geisha or traditional chinese hairstyles as the middle seems similar to how they would wrap their hair. So much curiosity!
Allan Kelly says:
October 15, 2010, 1:30 am
Mind Blowing Video
cosmicsistren says:
October 15, 2010, 9:13 am
Thanks for this! I love Goapele. I listened to your radio show yesterday. It was very entertaining. I will be listening again next week.
paintgurl40 says:
October 15, 2010, 12:21 pm
Love love love the video!! shoot she could use that as her music video!
lina40 says:
October 15, 2010, 8:05 pm
not sure who the stylist is, but the braided style is definitely west african in history -- I used to get my hair threaded like the center section all the time as a child.. although it was never as stylish as in the video. The thread in and of itself is hard to find locally and does not come on a spool - much thicker than sewing thread.. I'm doing a little research to see if I can find the womans name. Lina
RaisingChild says:
October 16, 2010, 7:28 pm
Oh my there is something subtle about Goapele and her hair. Loves it!
Ohsonattral says:
October 17, 2010, 5:42 pm
Her hair is DOPE! Can that gold threading be added to locs? If so, where can I find it?
BK says:
October 18, 2010, 2:51 pm
Ok I got my latest issue and realized this is a separate issue.. Will pick up in the store this evening :) ^5 bella.. congrats on the article!!
zenzele says:
October 19, 2010, 10:24 am
Love her braids, but I would hate to be the one who has to take them out!