I couldn’t make it to this month’s New York Fashion Week, and reading the resports and reviewers from my beauty blog friends did make me turn an unflattering shade of green, I must admit. Turns out my jealousy might just have matched one of the hot beauty trends my blog sisters spotted at the tents and presentations!
Because I couldn’t be there, I asked one of my very favorite beauty bloggers in the biz, Lianne the Makeup Girl! She is as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside, let me tell you. And she’s a busy beauty indeed — Lianne is not only holding down her own amazing blog, but now she’s part of the Clutch Magazine team, blogging beauty stuff on Fuchsia. Go ‘head Lianne!
These are the 5 biggest trends that she noticed overall at NYFW this year (in italics), and my recommendations on products I’ve tried that I know will help you achieve those hot looks!
1. Sheer natural makeup. Nearly every show that I went where MAC was doing the makeup, they used moisturizer or mixing mediums with foundation to sheer it out. OR they used mineralize skinfinish in natural and no foundation at all.
Click here to peep video of Lianne interviewing Phillipe C. of MAC, who produced the tres sheer look at Alexandre Herchovitch’s show. And of course everyone loves MAC, but I gotta say Make Up For Ever’s HD Invisible Cover Foundation has been rocking my world lately. It’s light, oil free, and really does what it says — “harmonizes the complexion” for those days when you want to look effortlessly flawless.
2. Eye shadow that mimics the colors of a forest. Lots of greens, golds and browns.
Ooh, I LOVE this trend! Forest-colored eyeshadows can make brown eyes pop, and the colors glow on warm, dark skin tones. I recently created a similar look with Natura New York Cosmetics.
I had never heard of this brand until recently, when I was literally pulled into the store at The Falls mall here in Miami. I’m glad I was — their mineral eye shimmer is amazing!. For a forest-inspired look, I definitely recommend bronzique and pistachio. Both shades are glimmery and iridescent and glint gorgeously on warm brown skin. Every single time I wear pistachio, I get crazy compliments.
3. Sculpted smokey eye…very contoured shadow with deliberately placed shadow to mimic the contours of your eye.
If you need a how-to guide on the smokey eye, or the right products to do the job, check out Benefit’s Smokin’ Eyes makeover kit. It’s tiny, it’s fabulous, and it contains 3 shadows, a black eyeliner pencil, a brightener, 2 brushes, mini tweezers and a complete lesson in the timeless look. $36, and such an awesome gift idea.
4. Pulled back hair in a messy bun. Even if the model wore her hair natural, they pulled it back somehow and piled it into a bun. If their hair was short, then it was slicked back.
OK, any kind of bun I could possibly make would be messy! Afrobella-textured hair doesn’t seem to make frequent enough appearances on the catwalk, IMO. But if you want to achieve a pulled-back, stylish look that will get you noticed, and you have a thick head of natural hair, definitely check out Tomoka’s Twists. There’s a sale taking place until March 1, and I’ve got my eye on GoldiLocs!
5. Green nail polish….at the Vena Cava show, Butter of London created a polish expressly for the show that I predict will be HUGE. It’s called British Racing Green and it will be available Fall 2009 exclusively at Beauty.com.
Green nailpolish? That’s a trend I haven’t yet tried. But OPI makes a great shade called Green-wich Village if you can’t wait till Fall.
And there you have it, bellas! What new trends intrigue you the most?