Here in Chicago, the story of missing 2 year old Jada Justice has gotten the attention of the nightly news. But I was reminded by a regular commenter, this story isn’t getting nearly enough national attention.

In case you haven’t heard, click here to read more at BlackAmericaWeb. To summarize, Jada Justice has been missing since Tuesday June 16. While under the supervision of her mother’s cousin, the toddler was left alone in a car at a convenience store in Gary, Indiana. The search for Jada continues and now the babysitter’s story has been called into question — and that question is WHY would anyone leave a toddler alone in a car at a convenience store? Even for a second?

An ongoing thread on is probably the most thorough source of information. Finally, Nancy Grace has caught wind of the story, and reportedly this will soon be featured on America’s Most Wanted. Still, I have yet to notice a public outcry and concern as we’ve seen for other missing children in recent history.

The FBI has established a hotline for tips. Anyone with any information about Jada Justice should call 1-800-CALL-FBI.

I sincerely hope that Jada is found safe, and soon. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family.

Edited July 2 — this story had a truly, truly tragic outcome. Rest in peace, Jada. You deserved far more in this life than what you got. I can’t even find the words to say how heartbroken this makes me feel. And I certainly can’t imagine how her family feels.

Kweenie says:
June 23, 2009, 9:09 pm
Hopefully they find her safe and unharmed. You are right that the story isn't being carried nationally. I'm in Florida and this is my first time hearing about her. Sad.
MoZaic says:
June 23, 2009, 9:18 pm
My God my heart goes out to the family and pray that they find her safe and unharmed.
PBG says:
June 24, 2009, 12:09 am
I pray the little one makes it home safely. These kinds of stories always get my tummy in knots. I can't imagine the torture the parents are going through.
Cris Simone says:
June 24, 2009, 12:09 am
This is such a devastating story. Prayers for her safe return.
Aubrey says:
June 24, 2009, 9:32 am
I hope that this story turns positive in the end. Our children never get the national attention when they go missing and it's no surprise why. I just wish this country appreciated and overstood how precious each child is. My prayers go to her family.
Kemi says:
June 24, 2009, 10:19 am
I tweeted and Facebooked this immediately! I hope she's found safe and sound.
Niki says:
June 24, 2009, 10:45 am
This precious little girl reminds me of my own niece named jayda. This is my first time hearing of this as well. My prayers go toward her safe return.
DBGW says:
June 24, 2009, 1:31 pm
I live in Indianapolis and this is the first I heard of it.
Villager says:
June 24, 2009, 1:58 pm
I didn't learn of Jada Justice until this afternoon. I've issued a Lakeesha Alert on my blog. Our prayers go out to this little girl and her family... peace, Villager
pets says:
June 24, 2009, 10:20 pm
I watch CNN, ABC and MSNBC here in Trinidad and this is the first I am hearing of it - I more probably could tell you about the ones that I have seen on Nancy Grace...and they do not looking like Jada.
Digital Tempest says:
June 24, 2009, 11:02 pm
I will keep her family in my prayers. I can't even imagine one of my babies coming up missing. I would be beyond hysterical. When you mentioned the lack of media attention this story is getting, it reminds me of a blog I read a couple of years back. I can't remember the blogger, but she mentioned something called "Missing White Woman Syndrome," which is the fact that the media tends to focus more on missing "pretty" white women/girls more than anyone else. All that aside, I hope they do find her.
Ayanna T. says:
June 26, 2009, 5:46 pm
Update: Unfortunately they found this little one dead in LaPorte Indiana - a border community about an 1 1/2 hours from Chicago. Here in Chi - her tragic death and the charges filed against the babysitter and the babysitter boyfriend were overshadowed by MJ's death.