Part of the motivation for starting my blog was the fact that I wasn’t seeing a reflection of myself in the media. Five years ago, there was nobody looking like me in magazines or in advertisements. If you had told me five years ago — in the not-too-distant future, there’ll be natural haired women in more ads than you can think of, and plus size fashionistas will be representing bigtime online…I would have been hopeful but skeptical. And if you’d told me that I’d be the one doing some of the ad campaigns…I would have asked you what you were tripping on.

But five years have passed. And dreams I never dreamed of before are coming true.

When Style Coalition asked me to create a short video for Lancome, to show the inspiration I found in Lancome’s Color Design 5 Pan palette, I was honored and delighted. And the palette I got — Teal Fury — couldn’t have been more perfect.

The first thing I thought of when I saw that teal? Trinidad. How much I miss seeing warm water and sky that come in those colors. I miss taking blue sky for granted. And that became the inspiration for my video. Because the greatest luxury I have in this world right now, is time. Time to enjoy life. Time to enjoy the fleeting windows of warmth and blue sky that we get to experience here in Chicago.

Lancome’s Color Design 5 Pan palette in Teal Fury is bold and bright, yes. But as we soak up spring and move into summer, it’s already become a staple for me. There’s a sizzling sparkle in the teal that makes it really pop. I love traveling with eyeshadow palettes, and this has been making some serious trips with me so far. Next stop, NYC! (again!)

Can’t wait to wear Teal Fury in Trinidad, where the inspiration came from.

You can see other amazing Style Coalition Lancome videos over on the Style Coalition YouTube channel, and you can keep up with all things Lancome on Youtube, Twitter, and Facebook.

Thanks again to Lancome and StyleCoalition for choosing me and allowing me to share my culture with the world. This Trini is always proud to represent!

Post sponsored by Lancome.

COMMENTS

Ayo @ Natural Hair Calendars says:
May 23, 2011, 4:13 pm
Thanks for sharing such a mood-lifting video & post! The Colors were beautiful! And thank you Lancome for giving our Afrobella such a wonderful opportunity to share her story! Kudos! :)
bella says:
May 23, 2011, 6:55 pm
thank you Ayo! I'm so honored :)
Monica says:
May 23, 2011, 7:33 pm
Great video Bella. You look beautiful.
bella says:
May 23, 2011, 10:00 pm
thank you Monica!!
Tasha says:
May 24, 2011, 12:02 am
Beautiful video! Love your bright smile. And the colors look really nice, too. Never even thought of using Lancome's makeup before. Thanks for the motivation.
Meagan says:
May 24, 2011, 12:42 am
YOU ARE SO FRIGGIN' ADORABLE!!! this was amazing... i LOVE THE TEAL SHADOW ON YOU!!! #WINNING
NaturalBlackOne says:
May 24, 2011, 4:56 am
The video was lovely! I so wish to be in the Caribbean right now! NYC weather is horrible now.... Plus I so WANT that palette!
TheCurlStation says:
May 24, 2011, 7:05 am
You look lovely and I love that your hair has so much body and moves so well. The two times I was in Chicago it was very overcast and foggy, I can definitely understand missing the sunshine. I'm a Florida girl myself.
b. says:
May 24, 2011, 8:13 am
You look so very pretty! :D
Lacoya (TheSuperCoya) says:
May 24, 2011, 8:16 am
WHOOOOO! Go Afrobella!!!! The teal looks CAHRAZY on you. You will definitely be selling tons of that palette. :)
cosmicsistren says:
May 24, 2011, 9:08 am
You are so pretty!! Congratulations to you. You are so deserving of every blessing that comes your way. I wish you the best.
sandy says:
May 24, 2011, 10:23 am
I don't know what you've been doing over the last couple of months, but you seem so mellow and beautiful.
CurlyChic says:
May 24, 2011, 12:11 pm
You are really doing big things! I'm excited for you. Thanks for sharing.
ria roxburgh says:
May 24, 2011, 12:59 pm
Hi! love your look in this video, can you share where your necklace is from?
shethinksoften says:
May 24, 2011, 9:12 pm
Loved the video! I must try the shadow.
JTwisdom says:
May 24, 2011, 10:58 pm
Pretty color shadow. Love how your talk about your birth place and where you live now. Good video.
Coco Cooks says:
May 25, 2011, 11:08 am
Terrific Video. Loved the contrast on lighting and when Spring came , pow, Bright color.
Nicole says:
May 26, 2011, 11:07 am
Very nice!
Gabrielle says:
May 26, 2011, 6:55 pm
Love the video Bella. I haven't commented in a while, but I still follow your blog. I am so happy to see you and your work flourishing. Although I realize that you are a unique individual, I feel that you embody the soul and capture the voices of so many women (myself included)in a way that is both positive and inspirational. Congrats on the ad (your hair looks fab!) As always, keep up the amazing work.
NappyNaturally says:
May 27, 2011, 10:51 am
Bella, you're continuing to motivate, inspire and pave the way for women. I love how you rep women of color without pause, educating and enlightening us on the daily. You truly embody the essence of natural beauty: your spirit, your permanaps and the use of the power that you have is awesome. I am so happy that your wildest dreams are coming true...and I will forever support you in your endeavors as I walk in your footsteps. One love, sista!
Brooke says:
June 1, 2011, 5:50 pm
Great video. You look beautiful.
maria says:
June 10, 2011, 3:53 am
I love the video! Nice images of home. Living in London I crave colour because a lot of the time its so bleak and grey. Whenever I visit home I'm stunned by the vibrant colours everywhere. The Lancome palette is gorgeous. Its the colour of paradise :0)
Nana says:
June 10, 2011, 8:29 am
your blog is so inspirational.. this is the first time i have been on it this post is so inspiring x
Mads says:
June 29, 2011, 2:33 pm
I feel the same way about seeing people like me in fashion mags/on the internet and it's a shame that here in the UK we don't have the same representation online that you all seem to have in the US. I am trying to put that right through my online magazine and reading your blog and seeing your story/success certainly is encouraging. Well done you!