For most special events and occasions, I feel comfortable doing my own hair and makeup. But certainly NOT for something as momentous as the Academy Awards! An occasion like that calls for full hair, makeup, exquisite garments, the whole 9 yards!
To put together the perfect Oscar look, we had to put together the ideal style and fashion red carpet dream team.
I was sent several dresses by mainstream designers, but I found THE DRESS when I met Arlinda, the designer of independent label Sofistafunk. She got me, she got my style, and fitted me for my dress herself. More to come on this incredible designer!!!
My jewels were procured by LaRue PR and are from collections found on MaxAndChloe.com – my earrings were by Sophia and Chloe and the jewels were all green turquoise by Mali Sabatasso. I wore sparkly leopard flats courtesy of Just Fabulous, and my sunglasses here are from the Robert Verdi for HSN collection.
I’m gonna break down more about the fashion in a post coming soon, because the quest for a plus size red carpet dress is a post within itself. This right here is all about the hair, the makeup, and getting ready on the day of the Oscars!
She’s a stylist to the stars and creator of the Loving Your Hair With Natural Care Workshop, but to me Felicia Leatherwood is much more than that. She’s become a dear friend of mine, and we share a sisterhood that I truly cherish. Felicia is everything! And for my Oscar hair, she made my curls defined and perfect with a special cocktail of Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Hold & Shine spray, and Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Leave In Conditioner. It brought out the curls and made my hair soft and shiny all day!
Felicia then pinned my hair back and brought it into an up do, leaving a crown of curls I referred to as a “fro fascinator.” I LOVED it. So elegant, yet so funky!
Our makeup was sponsored by AVON – I’m an AVON brand ambassador this year, and I’ve been absolutely falling in love with their products. Our makeup artist, Nicole Evans, used several of their products for our look and now needs Avon Glimmersticks liqui-liners, Be Blushed sticks, Shine Attract lipsticks and True Color Eyeshadow sets in her kit!
Wanna see exactly how our makeup look came together? Of course you do!! Incredible videographer Krystle Rowry of KrissDidIt.com was on hand to capture the magic. Up and coming singer songwriter Kirby Lauryen wrote and recorded the song “Bella” just for this video – you can download the EP here.
And this whole fabulous video was sponsored by my friends at Avon! LOVE THEM!
Here’s my completed look and a breakdown of everything we used!
Afrobella’s Oscar Makeup
- MAC Indianwood Paint Pot and Koh Gen Do Concealer,
- Jillian Dempsey for AVON Professional Perfect Eyes kit in Cinnamon Toast
- AVON True Color Eyeshadow Quad in Blushing Raisins
- MAC Pigment in Vanilla
- MAC Glitter in Reflects Gold
- Revlon Colorstay Gel Eyeliner in Black
- AVON Superextend Extreme Mascara in Black
- Make Up Forever Individual Lashes
- Duo Adhesive in Black
- MAC Charcoal Brown Eyeshadow (Brows)
- Mario Badescu Facial Spray Aloe, Herbs and Rosewater
- Embryolisse lait creme moisturiser
- NARS oil-free primer
- Koh Gen Do Moisture Foundation,Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer and Face Atelier Foundation
- MAC Blunt blush
- MAC Gingerly Blush
- NARS Illuminator in Copacabana
- MAC Gold Deposit Mineralize Skinfinish
MAC All Of My Purple Life lipglass
Et voila! HELLO, Oscar!
For Luvvie, Felicia washed her hair with Eden Bodyworks shampoo, and then retwisted her locs using Sof n Free’s "Nothing But” Line, Mold and Hold. She then finished it with Shea Moisture’s Reconstructive Elixir Spray and made her locs curly by twisting them into bantu knots. Luvvie’s locs stayed curly for days! And that adorable flower in her hair? It’s a ring Luvvie owned that Felicia styled right into her hair!
Luvvie’s OSCARS make up
- MAC Paint Pot in Blackground and Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer
- MAC Carbon Eyeshadow
- MAC Embark Eyeshadow
- MAC Bronze Eyeshadow
- MAC Coppering Eyeshadow
- MAC Platinum Pigment
- MAC Reflects Gold Glitter
- Make Up Forever Eyelashes
- Duo adhesive in black
- Avon Glimmersticks liqui-Glide liner in black
- NARS oil-free primer
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisture
- MAC Sketch Eyeshadow
- MAC Cranberry Eyeshadow
- AVON Truecolor Blush in Cranberry
- NARS Illuminator in Copacabana
- Estee Lauder Pure Color Illuminating Gelee
- MAC Half Red lip pencil
- AVON Pro Luscious Pout Lipcolor in Pumped up Pink
- MAC Pro gloss in Honey Beige
We found Luvvie’s dress at Hannah’s Boutique (10500 Southwest Hwy; Chicago Ridge, IL 60415,708-398-4055) – Luvvie walked into the store looking for a cobalt blue gown, and when the owners suggested this greige gown she didn’t even want to try it on! But I had a feeling it was special and when she tried it on, she soon saw for herself. That gown is GORGEOUS and Luvvie looked so beautiful in it!
We both felt like princesses on the red carpet. And for that we’ve got to thank our team Sofistafunk, Just Fabulous, Jessy Fofana and LaRue PR, Max & Chloe, AVON, Felicia Leatherwood, Nicole Evans, Krystle Rowry, Kirby Lauryen, and Stephanie Frederic of FGW Productions – teamwork makes the dream work and we are so thankful for ALL of you!!!
Check out Luvvie’s recap here.
What do you think of our Oscar red carpet look, bellas? Did we make you proud?
Sites That Link to this Post
- What We Wore to the Academy Awards | Awesomely Luvvie | March 2, 2012
- Quest for the Oscar Dress | Afrobella | March 13, 2012