Christmas Day is right around the corner. If you haven’t started your holiday shopping yet, this is your day to do as much online shopping as possible. I’m here to help!
Before I get into my natural hair holiday shopping guide, allow me to share two similar guides with you.
Buzzfeed is one of my daily online addictions, and they recently hired the amazing Tracy Clayton AKA @BrokeyMcPoverty, and she’s creating such an amazing variety of content for them (seriously, read her post about her grandmother and see if your eye allergies don’t mysteriously start acting up). Tracy just wrote a post on Great Gift Ideas for The Natural Haired Woman In Your Life that’s got great basic suggestions and products I totally adore.
And over at Essence.com, there’s a post featuring a ton of natural haired bloggers choosing their favorite holiday gift picks. I loved that post because it introduced me to new bloggers and vloggers, while including many of my favorites and friends!
So before you get into my specific picks, feel free to check those posts out for additional ideas on what to give the natural hair lover in your life. And now without further ado, here’s my official list of helpful holiday gift suggestions made for us, by us. All tried, tested and awesome, ranging in price and intended to bring good tidings and great joy to whoever should discover them under the tree!
- The Oyin Snack Bar – Be forewarned – 2014 is about to be the year of Oyin Handmade. By Spring 2014, the handmade brand we have been loving for years will break into Target, and I predict it’ll be a huge hit there. If you’ve never tried an Oyin product, I have two things to say.
1 – what have you been waiting for? They’re awesome and 2 – get or give someone the Oyin Snack Bar, it’s a great way to get all the way familiar with the brand. It includes 2-ounce bottles of their most beloved hair products, like Honey Hemp Conditioner, Greg Juice leave-in spray, Hair Dew Creamy leave-in, and Honey Wash Head-to-Toe Cleanser, as well as 1-ounce mini jars of Shine & Define coaxing serum, Burnt Sugar pomade, Whipped Pudding Dense Cream, and boing! all-in-one coil styler, all in a super cute package.
- A gift set of her favorite brand, or a brand she’s mentioned. Just about every major natural hair brand has some kind of gift set on sale right now! So if the natural hair lover in your life has been mentioning wanting to try one brand or another, this is the time to surprise them with a sample pack or gift set. TGIN, Soultanicals, Alikay Naturals, Emily Jayne and Koils By Nature have gift sets galore, all worth the purchase if you haven’t tried those up and coming indie brands yet!
- Tees and totes by pro-natural brands. If your gift recipient is a product junkie with a bathroom cabinet already overflowing with bottles and jars (I’m so guilty of this), then a teeshirt could be a great alternative gift. I think the tees at Natural Girls Rock are cute (also, they offer them in plus size)! And I also love Brokey McPoverty’s Brokey McTeeshirts (yep, the same cool chick who writes for Buzzfeed now)! I have one of her totes and I use it often, and she has cool tees for adults and kids.
- Sweatshirts by Quelly Rue Designs. Racquel of Quelly Rue Designs is such an innovator. She was designing her afrocentric sweatshirts before the sweatshirt craze took off, and they remain on trend and frequently sold out. Visit her site for sweatshirts, hair accessories, scarves and earrings with unique flair.
- jewelry by Beltshazaar Jewelry, Jaz Jewelz or Peace Images. There are so many incredible jewelry designers out there, but these three in particular stand out as having a unique aesthetic and true skill in creating handcrafted jewelry. In a world of self-described jewelers who are doing little more than adding jump rings, earring backs and hooks to imported wholesale parts, these beautiful women of color are working with gemstones, brass, copper and more, hammering and sculpting wearable works of art. Plus I know all of them personally and can speak to their ethics as well as their abilities. These are talented women who deserve your support, AND they make super fly jewelry! Bonus!
- a fly scarf by Larkin and Larkin or Ladieloops. If you wear your hair in a natural style, you probably are a confident woman who isn’t averse to funky accessories. You probably don’t want to wear the same thing as everyone else. If you live in a cold climate, you need cool, conversation starting winter accessories. Check out the handmade goodness by Larkin and Larkin, or Ladieloops. Larkin and Larkin is an Etsy store that includes incredible jewelry as well as showstopping scarves and cowls in bold colors and patterns. Ladieloops knits beautiful and unique cowls and scarves. If you’re looking for a really distinctive handmade scarf, look no further!
- body care products by Carol’s Daughter. I have known and loved Carol’s Daughter for years now, and I can say from personal knowledge and experience that Lisa Price is everything and then some. She’s a lovely person, a brilliant entrepreneur, and a trailblazer worthy of admiration. I’ve loved many Carol’s Daughter hair products but I think too many people sleep on their incredible body and bath products. I adore me some Almond Cookie, and the new Coconut fragrance is so sweet and feminine and sexy. Love it! And if you have really dry skin, try their Love Butter or Body Jelly. That’s what’s getting me through winter right now!
- Skincare by Skin Deep Natural Body Care. When I fall in love, I fall in love HARD. And I’m in love with Skin Deep Natural Body Care. So expect me to write about this Chicago-based brand OFTEN. Entrepreneur Dominique Covington is a genius with the products. Packaging is on point and the quality is everything. Any of the shea gift sets would make a lovely gift, her face washes would be wonderful for anyone who’s picky about ingredients or who has sensitive skin, and honey that lip butter is the TRUTH!
Those are my top picks for holiday gifts for ladies with natural hair. Sorry it took me so long. Expect the gift guides to come fast and furious, since I’m so behind!
See anything you like, love, or need to have?