You may have read this over at Curly Nikki last week during our article swap! If you didn’t, and you’d like to read about my winter hair care routine – here you go! (this has been slightly edited from the previous post!)

(like my jacket? It’s by Sejour! expect an epic post soon!)

My hair has a love/hate relationship with winter. Crisp cold air seems to bring out my curl pattern to noticeable effect – after the frizzy heat of summer, my hair is thrilled by the coolness of fall, and it spirals just the way I want it. As fall turns to winter, the spirally coils remain… but then my hair becomes dry, dry, dry. So it looks good, but feels brittle and often gets tangles and knots. My hair needs more love in the winter, and I have to combat the winter dryness with changes in my day to day regimen. This is what has been working for me!

#1 – sleep on a satin pillowcase. For me, right now it’s all about the Sharmooz. I change my bedding to warmer stuff in the winter – it’s all flannel and plush microfiber. But under my head, it’s silk and satin all the way. My head can’t keep a bonnet on at night, so it has to be a pillowcase. The Sharmooz is one of the nicest I’ve been lucky enough to try – and it comes in a variety of beautiful patterns. (photo above is of the Sharmooz scarf wrap, which is fashionable and also comes in a variety of patterns. Is this model not TOO fly?!)

#2 – I already don’t shampoo more than once a week, tops – but during cold weather months it becomes even less frequent. In addition to deep conditioning, I also conditioner wash my hair once or twice a week, just so I can detangle it. My go-to everyday conditioner wash is currently the super affordable Suave almond and shea butter conditioner, which is great for my detangling purposes, and I also LOVE Darcy’s Botanicals pumpkin seed moisturizing conditioner. It’s so seasonal and delicious-smelling!

#3 – I need product in my hair as SOON as I get out of the shower! I keep my hair products and face lotion within reach so I can moisturize my situation while I’m still warm and moist from showering. I’ve been spritzing my hair with Oyin juices and berries, or sometimes I use Peter Lamas’ Repair Me detangling mist Then I use a heavier product from root to tip – lately I’ve been using Oyin Whipped Butter or Karen’s Body Beautiful’s Butter Love.

#4 – In winter my hair’s needs change completely – in the summer, my hair loves coconut oil. In the winter, my hair loves and needs castor oil and shea butter. So lately I’ve been using Oils from Jamaica castor oil – I pour a quarter-sized amount of castor oil in my hands, warm it up by rubbing my hands together, and then I basically style my hair with it. I also give myself a little scalp massage – I’m convinced that it’s helped to cut back on my dry scalp issues.

#5 – At least every 2 weeks, I do a deep, deep conditioning treatment with a heavier conditioning product. And when I do that, I also use the Huetiful Steamer. I like to use a really thick decadent treatment. That’s when I’ll break out my last reserve remnants of Ojon restorative treatment, or Miss Jessie’s Rapid Recovery Treatment. The Huetiful is all that and then some. It’s definitely made a difference in terms of maintaining my hair’s moisture and health as the weather gets more and more frightful.
#5 – If I’m going out to brave the elements, then I have to think about my headgear choices. If it isn’t snowing, I’ll go out as is and rock my fro big and curly. However, you lose so much heat through your head if you go walking around in cold weather…so I usually take a big scarf or I’ll wear a big stretchy, slouchy hat to cover my whole head. It hasn’t been easy, but I found a few – a big purple hat with ear flaps and a pompom on it by Jessica Simpson (got that at Marshalls!) and a gray one from Urban Outfitters which was too expensive if you ask me. I actually just heard from a fellow afrobella who makes silk and satin lined winter headgear – her site is www.HatSoMe.com – I’m trying to get one of her knit hooded scarves to get me through the season!

That’s what has been working for me thus far. I’m always down to try something new, especially if it will help to keep my hair healthy and strong and protected against the elements. So this winter, I also plan to experiment with twists and other protective styles.

Swapping articles with Curly Nikki made me realize, I need to step my game up! I’ve been slackin’! Are you as detailed as she is in your hair care approach? Or are you more like me, and kinda loosey goosey figuring-it-out-as-you-go-along as I am about it?

COMMENTS

Peajai says:
December 15, 2010, 7:54 am
I want a Huetiful Steamer so bad!
Yvette says:
December 15, 2010, 9:30 am
Would you be able to explain the difference between regular castor oil and Jamaican castor oil? I keep seeing that people are using it, but not sure why the switch.
Atiya says:
December 15, 2010, 9:53 am
Hatsome.com is awesome!! I must get my hands on one of those beautiful, gorgeous berets with the flower applique, and one of the gorgeous hooded scarfs! I can't wait to get my hands on both!! :)
BK says:
December 15, 2010, 10:52 am
I've been loosey goosey trying to figure it out.. my hair is about 6inches longer this winter than it was last so my routine is changing LOL.. I've been rocking twists but I'm suffering some damage so I'm going for a cut in a few days then I shall begin my winter haircare process.. thanks 2 u and curlynikki for the tips.. :)
BK says:
December 15, 2010, 10:55 am
Ok that hatsome site.. THANK YOU.. I've been looking for something like this.. I need a few of those hats in my life..
Tinu says:
December 15, 2010, 1:36 pm
It's truly a learning process. I never had to think about a winter routine until I moved to Boston from North Carolina 3 years ago. The winters up here have a much more dramatic effect on my skin and hair because we are so much farther north, east, and on the water. Hats and hoods are non-negotiable so I strongly agree with the satin-lining recommendation, one a hairdresser gave me a couple of years back. I'm all about the shea butter products come November/December.
Nikki says:
December 15, 2010, 2:50 pm
OMG, I LOVE THOSE HATS!! I just sent it to all the sistas in my office!!!
Rene says:
December 15, 2010, 3:01 pm
Formulated for all Hair types, Specializing in Ethnic Natural Hair.To give people Natural Hair awareness, When you go natural Your Hair will flourish and grow.. Bless.
Brandy says:
December 15, 2010, 9:34 pm
I've always wondered in the winter time, what do afrobellas wear on their heads to keep warm while rocking the fro? How do you maintain your curl formation without it getting frizzy and losing that curl formation? I wear thick scarves around my head that covers my ears, I also wear ear/headband warmers, but I still find that even though my ears are warm, sometimes my head isn't. And I also find that my hair gets dried when exposed to really cold air or when it's snowing or drizzling out, my hair is wet and cold. When I do wear hats, I find that my curls are smashed and frizzy...I sometimes carry a spray bottle around with water to lightly mist my hair, but I get tired of doing this...So what do you afrobellas wear for winter wear? How do you keep your fro looking fly when it is dead cold out???
peachy says:
December 16, 2010, 2:38 pm
Curly hair is more "high maintenance" than straight. I have curly hair and I spend a big chunk of my money just for hair products
Northwest Lady says:
December 17, 2010, 1:22 am
I am loosey goosey like you. You are great and I love your website. Always do you! =)
ChoklatTea says:
December 21, 2010, 3:30 pm
I have got to get a hair steamer ASAP!!!!!!!!!
Sebastain13 says:
December 26, 2010, 10:37 pm
I want a steamer as well I hope to get one for my bday It will help my dryness It has been very cold here in NC so Shamekia needs it I do not have a routine yet but Im trying to get there Its so difficult because I feel like Im experimenting but I have to do that to find out what my hair really likes
Shiraz says:
December 30, 2010, 4:07 am
Excellent tips, bella!! I've been meaning to try that Jamaican castor oil, thanks for the reminder. ;)
Veronica Cepin says:
January 2, 2011, 12:21 pm
It really depends on the company. Jamaican Castor oil is usually roasted so it has a very nutty roasted smell and is usually darker in color. Regular castor oil can be cold pressed and is usually clear to slightly yellow in color. Make sure to read the label clearly when purchasing.
Sheryl says:
February 1, 2011, 11:07 pm
Your hair looks healthy/happy to me. Sometimes I think because these young girls are in their 20s-early 30s they still have all the energy to get intense and creative in their natural hair care. I'm 50, menopausal and while I love looking my best, I don't want to take up half the day and/or night to do that. I'm real sure there has to be a simplier way. If you're found it, let it be. Ms CurlyNikki is in the process of learning that since Baby G has come along.
Synethia Ennis says:
February 3, 2011, 8:52 pm
I like this article just posted a similar one on my blog http://junglebarbie.blogspot.com Syn
Dermal MEds REviews says:
July 10, 2013, 5:26 pm
I must thank you for the efforts you have put in penning this site. I am hoping to see the same high-grade content by you in the future as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my own, personal website now ;)
laser hair growth does it work says:
June 14, 2014, 10:57 am
Finasteride on the other hand has been approved by Food and Drug Administration to treat enlargement of prostate. Zinc absorption and vitamin C intake could be synergistic. It improves your hair's elasticity, texture and strength.
Elvira says:
June 17, 2014, 3:18 pm
Please let me know if you're looking foor a author for your weblog. You have some really ggreat posts andd I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take soje of the load off, I'd absolutely love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me an email if interested. Thanks!
clarisonic mia 2 brush head says:
July 4, 2014, 6:18 am
Just how much folic acid do you need to notice a difference in your hair growth. The US National Library of Medicine warns against ingesting this petroleum product. This is a review of this acne skincare line from this popular Tawainese skincare company.
blissworld says:
July 6, 2014, 1:55 am
If your skin is not properly moisturize, it will dry and age faster. Prepare a paste of gram (Cicer arietinum) flour in raw milk. If our body is producing skin cells to repair wrinkles, there would be no problem at all, and all wrinkles would be temporary in nature.
plastic surgery barbie says:
July 17, 2014, 4:07 am
In an internet forum about plastic surgery, it will be possible to come in contact with other individuals about plastic surgery through the net. Interestingly enough, pictures of her as a younger woman show that she's adorable, and post surgery she is just beautiful. The various types of plastic surgery on the face are:.
what is a triple net lease says:
July 27, 2014, 10:41 pm
This latest incident, focused in the Southern areas of Utah including Cedar City and areas thirty miles south is considered noteworthy by ornithologists because it was so widespread in that area and not centralized like other instances have been. With the current home prices in the tri state area we have great opportunities to cash in on rental properties. Maintaining a rental property can be a major hassle especially if the tenant turnover rate is on an annual basis or less. Characteristics of the office can be an investment, but in my opinion, this property does not qualify. Thus, a prospective tenant will be well served to review a proposed lease with counsel to ensure that tenant understands the nature and type of pass through costs it will be expected to absorb under the lease. This is a meeting where deals are made, needed information is found, problems are solved and real estate investing is always the central topic. Unlike single-tenant investments, such as a single-family home, the vacancy risk with commercial properties is spread over several units. Although property investment is good, you should always mind about the prevailing price and market conditions of the area you are targeting. I scowled at her, then turned back to Foxy, who was following up her performance by doing a little dance on the tips of her hooves. With a builder lease-back the buyer pretty much gets a check every month and forgets about the property until they take possession.
laser hair restoration equipment for sale says:
July 31, 2014, 10:40 pm
Ear deformities, especially in children can become a target for the less caring children resulting in the child being ridiculed and teased. When too much pressure is put on the hair over time it can speed up the hair shedding process, resulting in the loss of hairs already in the telogen phase. light of one wavelength, not of an entire spectrum like a light bulb.
sisley skin care says:
August 1, 2014, 8:34 am
Hi, i feel that i noticed you visited my weblog so i came to return the prefer?.I'm attempting to to find issues to enhance my site!I suppose its good enough to use a few of your ideas!!
hcg weight loss jacksonville fl says:
August 1, 2014, 5:55 pm
-The test was done incorrectly for example perhaps the test was not saturated entirely in urine. Loss of muscle tone is often more significant in the lower extremities, leading to a decreased ability to walk and balance yourself, which then leads to a greater risk of falls and other injuries. HCG diet materials stress the importance of sticking to this diet.
bodybuilding misc says:
August 2, 2014, 8:56 pm
It's hard to find well-informed people about this subject, but you sound like you know what you're talking about! Thanks
Virilitygaming.Com says:
August 3, 2014, 3:30 am
We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out. I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward to looking over your web page again.
backflow prevention pompano beach high school says:
August 5, 2014, 12:12 am
Estimating the price of a kitchen improvement project will also involve negotiations using the skilled workers. There are some quick and easy tips that will help avoid a visit from a professional plumber. Basic Project Control and Communication Plan: The project control component explains the tools that will be used to assist the project manager in tracking the project's progress.
nnn definition says:
August 6, 2014, 7:52 am
Senior citizen clients thought they had every reason to trust Mr. The role of car accessory is immense and goes a long way in increasing the effectiveness of any car. When one takes a clearly sober, rationally well-balanced view here, from the perspective of God's own attitude, all it actually amounts to is a fervent wish that the one forgiven will ultimately succeed at finding his way, seeing the light, and being granted mercy.
plumbers boca raton area code says:
August 8, 2014, 12:59 am
Kitchen Emporium performs custom carpentry, and will even handle countertops and tile, if you want them to. The i - Phone has several apps that are perfect for dads. Choosing a style of knob that coordinates with the overall style of the room is ideal.
lasercap reviews says:
August 8, 2014, 1:31 am
Quite a few treatment centers impose as per the time required each meeting. Vitamin C is found in many foods, notably the citrus group. There are a number of lasers used to remove locks like Ruby aesthetic laser, Alexandrite laser, Pulsed diode array, Aragon aesthetic laser as well as Nd:YAG.
Best Spray Tans says:
August 8, 2014, 6:04 pm
Dark sunsation self tanning lotion has botanical extracts, which improve the quality of your skin while offering you a dark natural looking tan. You also have to be at ease in your dress, able to glide down the aisle in it & look comfortable all day long. Frederick Mohs in the 1930's who began this treatment for skin cancer.
cold pressed flaxseed oil says:
August 9, 2014, 4:00 am
What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious knowledge regarding unexpected feelings.
spray tan lincoln uk says:
August 14, 2014, 10:26 pm
Of course you can get low cost tanning lotions elsewhere, but the results may not be what you expect; the professional lotions guarantee certain results. Therefore, there is no risk of cancer, skin rash, and many other allergies that you can catch by exposing your sensitive skin to the elements. Dark sunsation self tanning lotion is a perfect solution for immediate tanning needs.
cheap white bandage dress says:
August 16, 2014, 1:45 am
Mom will love it just as much, provided that you do the dishes afterwards. With some really cool designs from high quality fabrics, almost every woman would love to dress up in Herve Leger creations. The multiple choice area makes up about 60% from the section's score and also the simulations account for 40% of the score.
cotter moving and storage akron oh says:
August 19, 2014, 9:16 am
Your personal safety, as well as that of your belongings, is something to take into consideration when moving yourself. Moving quotes should be based on a thorough understanding of your needs, and the types of belongings you have. Of course, you can't just randomly pick a removalist firm out of the telephone directory and expect to find a top quality professional organization that can handle your interstate moving needs with ease.
hcg weight loss jacksonville nc says:
August 20, 2014, 4:43 am
Go through Slendertone review and you're going to get to know more magical facts concerning this improbable product. The 1000-calorie diet menu plan is not that easy; hence consult your dietitian or doctor before starting it. However you will not know until you check it out yourself.
spray tanning Salons eugene or says:
August 21, 2014, 11:01 pm
DHA is a non-toxic sugar substance that has been FDA (Federal Drug Administration) approved since 1977. - Before you step out to go sunbathing, ascertain that your skin is clear from any ingredients of makeup creams and cologne liquids that would make your skin more disposed to sunburn. That way, you will never be out of the color you like if they happen to run out of it at the local drugstore or beauty center.
moving and storage services says:
August 25, 2014, 7:24 am
Remember that your ex-girlfriend has moved on and no amount of sulking will make her come back so get up and get your life back. One of the most important items to have for those who regularly maintain their grass is a lawnmower. It must be active in the moving industry for more than ten years.
bodycon tank dress pattern says:
August 25, 2014, 9:55 am
And to add variation to it Beckham splits that into a third ponytail up high flowing into the traditional half pony tail. The average person, however, does not have this luxury. There are many teens that invent their own styles and aim at becoming an icon among their groups.
weight loss drops hcg gnc says:
September 2, 2014, 4:35 am
If you decide you must eat something totally not on your diet, you will be in effect doing a. Loss of muscle tone is often more significant in the lower extremities, leading to a decreased ability to walk and balance yourself, which then leads to a greater risk of falls and other injuries. This is greatly do to the fact that eating and lifestyle choices were not in place once the weight had been eliminated.
laser hair growth machines for sale says:
September 10, 2014, 1:46 am
Much less pleasant but equally essential is understanding expertise these kinds of as cleansing dentures, feeding individuals, having temperatures and measuring catheter output, all of which totally get ready students for the expertise evaluation test. Data coverage: market sizes (historic and forecasts), company shares, brand shares and distribution data. Your hair protected the top of the head from the elements.
weight loss calculator says:
September 20, 2014, 3:01 pm
It also lets you add multiple portion sizes for your own foods. These supplements, accompanied by some determination and discipline, will truly make the difference in your life that you are looking to gain. This will be accomplished while the egg cells are stored.
facial plastic surgeon columbus ohio says:
September 23, 2014, 8:15 pm
Kim Kardashian certainly isn't the first celebrity to get some work done, but the 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' episode did prompt a plastic surgeon, Dr. Though plastic surgery gives results quicker than other means but you need to have patience. The Dilation and Curettage is used between 3 and 14 weeks gestation.
Plastic surgeon says:
September 29, 2014, 10:33 pm
If you have any questions pertaining to where and ways to utilize web site ( super fast reply ), you can contact us at the web page. During your consultation visits, ask potential plastic surgeons about the financing plans they offer. You also need to think about the recovery process and the ways it might affect your daily life and work.
self prostate milking says:
October 2, 2014, 12:24 am
I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This post posted at this web site is really pleasant.