It takes me a minute to discover new music. I don’t mean to be a late adopter, it just takes me a while to find new artists I’m intrigued enough to attach myself to. Whenever I hear new music I LOVE, I’m gonna make an effort to share it with you! And right now my new musical obsession is a lovely British bella by the name of Lianne La Havas.
If you perchance see me on public transportation in Chicago, staring wistfully out the window, I am most likely singing her duet No Room For Doubt in my head.
If you’re a regular reader of Soulbounce, you’ve probably been up on Lianne since last summer. But over here on the late bus, I’m only just now getting around to listening to her sumptuous free EP. I’m finally, truly intoxicated by her smoky sweet singing.
What do I love about Lianne La Havas? I’ll give you five things.
1. Her voice. It’s like an angel’s. And she’s even better live than in the studio. Look.
2. Her style. I always love a singer who defies genre. I am not even sure how to categorize what Lianne La Havas does, there’s elements of soul, rock, jazz, folk…her sound is unique, and has a timeless quality.
3. Her HAIR, of course! Via her Facebook page, she describes herself as being “nothing like Corinne Bailey Rae or Andreya Triana, but we all have similar hair.” Similarly gorgeous and covetable, yes. Natural beauty for the win!
4. Her island background – I can’t help it! The Trini in me is just attracted to fellow island women. According to The Guardian, Lianne La Havas was born and raised in South London to a Greek father and a Jamaican mother. Will Lianne eventually do a more reggae inflected song? I can only hope!
5. The fact that she’ll inevitably tour the US (since she’s been taking the UK and Europe by storm, I assume as much).
Check out Lianne’s current tour dates here. To keep up with Lianne’s music as it’s uploaded online, subscribe to her YouTube channel. And of course there’s her official site, her Facebook, and her Twitter. Her debut EP, Lost and Found, is available for sale on iTunes. Oh, and there’s that free EP you can download!
What do you think, bellas? Are you a new fan, like I am? Are you feeling Lianne La Havas? Thank you, Meagan Shea, for bringing her to my world!