So…What Should I Wear to the BET Awards?

I know usually you read Afrobella for information and opinions I’m sharing, but right now I could use some collective fashion advice. Bellas, I got an exciting invitation to attend the glam events during the 12th Annual BET Awards weekend! I’ll be riding along with Cadillac, to drink in all the music and culture. This year Samuel L. Jackson is hosting, and the members of Maze featuring Frankie Beverly will recieve the Cadillac Lifetime Achievement Award! Kanye and the whole GOOD Music crew will be performing! And D’ANGELO IS BACK, Y’ALL!!!!! AND they’re saying Cissy Houston will be lifting Whitney up in song. Clearly I’ll be needing waterproof mascara.

Anyway! I’m pretty excited, but with any amazing event comes new fashion challenges. I have no idea what to wear to the BET Awards, I’ve got TWO fabulous events coming up that weekend, and I need to make a decision ASAP.

I have some GORGEOUS dresses by Igigi with me, that you’ll see in an upcoming shoot! But they’re all a bit too formal for the awards show itself, I think. Right now I’m checking out sites like Asos, eShakti and Sonsi (which has a vast selection). Ideally I’d go rocking an indie designer — you know my steez. In a perfect world it’d be someone from the islands but time is of the essence and that probably won’t work out in time to be honest. So here’s what I’m daydreaming about right now. Tell me what you think!

When I think BET Awards, I think short, body con, flashy. In other words, not exactly me or anything that I own. I’m an indie designer, maxi dress kind of girl and I feel kinda out of my element here. For example.

Lately I’ve been obsessed with Brooklyn based indie label NakaMuli INC. Designer Tennille McMillan also makes plus sizes, and I’m OBSESSED with her relax tee/dress!

Her Sunlight Water Dress is something I could see myself rocking. That is, until I shared it with Luvvie. “This is too formal. The BET awards is where you rock jeans, a DOPE top and FIERCE shoes.”

But I really like this dress, and I don’t wear heels, either. HELP A BELLA OUT HERE. I still LOVE that NakaMuli dress and it’s in my mind as a possibility.

Another dress that I think would be HOT for the BET Awards would be by Shavonne Dorsey designs. It’s even called the Bella dress (how apropos, no?) This dress apparently sold out with a quickness at Boutique Larrieux during the Shavonne Dorsey trunk show. I could rock these with a cute, wearable wedge. What do you think?

I could also totally see myself rocking the heck out of a Monif C.’s “Hilary” slit sleeve jumpsuit – that would be so easy, so fabulous and so ME. I would bang it out with killer jewelry and a bright shoe and clutch for a pop of color would complete the look.

The BET Awards will air July 1, 2012 and you can follow my tweets with the hashtag #CadillacBET.

What look would you go for, if you were me?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I would go with the 3rd one. The Monif C. “Hilary” slit sleeve jumpsuit would look great on you. Looks really comfy and it has a great neckline. Have fun!

2. Lucille says:

girl, that jumpsuit is the TRUTH!!! i love those dresses but that jumpsuit screams BET awards.

3. warrior11209 says:

The jumpsuit would be perfect for the BET awards . I can see you with the killer accessories looking a fab as you always do when you are out and about.
    I love the Sunlight Water and think that you should get that for another occasion.

4. I vote for the jumpsuit, too! It would look awesome on you!

5. That jumpsuit is hot! Does it come in bright colors like Coral? I could see you rocking it in Coral.

6. MrsNumbles says:

The jumpsuit is on fiyah! Can’t believe I won’t see you on the red carpet – no BET in London(which for once I’m sad about). I’ll just eagerly wait to see the photos!

7. Jennifer Franklin says:

The jumpsuit by Monif C !!!! Sassy and trendy

8. Natasha P says:

All 3 choices are beyond fab; but the “Bella” is just too too chic!!!

9. Wear the sunlight water dress. So what some say it’s too formal, not in my eyes. Stand out and bring back the formal attire to the BET awards and maybe the artist will also bring it back. Miss those days.

• I definitely can see myself wearing it, maybe not to the show itself but definitely to one of the wonderful events I’ll be attending! thanks for your comment, Pat :)

10. I know I am late but the jumpsuit is fiyah!!!!

11. As your little style guru, I do agree w/ Luvvs about the formal dress but it’s too gorgeous NOT to wear IMO! I think it’s gorg & w/ your rockin’ hair it’d be an awesome combo.

I was also dressing you in my head when you asked me about this last night & I was like, a jumpsuit would be appropriate, something new for you, easy, comfortable & you could definitely do it up w/ some DOPE accessories! Those are my (2) picks! :D

12. I LOVE the jumpsuit!

13. that first dress is absolutely gorgeous! But I think the 3 outfit would “fit in” better at the awards and would be more comfortable to wear. You’ll look great either way though!

14. Definitely Monif C…would look spectacular on you!!!

15. Whew that NakaMuli was killer!! That’s it right there…everyone else can come plain jane but I say go for comfy FLAIR! ;-) do they have other color combos though?

16. I’m really luvin the jumpsuit, you’d look great in it.

17. Hi Bella,

You mentioned you only wear flats, so I want to suggest you check out ziginy.com. Instantly add some bling to ANY outfit! Choose a flat like this one http://www.ziginy.com/styles/instinct.html, or http://www.ziginy.com/styles/magnolia.html.

18. I vote for the Nakimuli dress. Make a statement and stand out rather than look like the rest of the big girls in Monif C dresses.

19. I’m certain your gonna look amazing with any of these picks. One thing I love about your style is that your not afraid of color. I’m so happy you will get to attend the BET Awards in style (Cadillac)!! Congrats to you PY!!!

20. The jumpsuit would be slimming, easy to move and sit in and can be accessorised in a jif. Make sure you wear comfy shoes. Congrats on being part of the Cadillac BET Awards team!

21. I think the jumpsuit is the best choice. Have fun and the show!

22. at* the show

23. I’m with the Jumpsuit crowd!

24. +a million for the jumpsuit, ma cher!

25. I’m feeling the pant suit

26. Karen London says:

I think the Bella dress by Shavonne Dorsey would be an excellent choice. You would definitely stand out. My second pick would be the jumpsuit. Have fun and sure wish I were going!

27. The jumpsuit will be ca-yuute! It looks comfy too. Some dope accessories and the most important one – your smile, and you will be set.
    Have lots of fun! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

28. The main way you are likely to get sick while at camps is only if you cook wrongly at camps.

3 Summer Day Camp in Norfolk County, Massachusetts: Skyhawks.
    Baseball camps can be an excellent way to give the children the social life they need while keeping them busy both physically and mentally.

A macro shot of a flower gives a totally different look to it.
    Is there any scientific facts to sustain their claims.
    This is one of the most liked outdoor activities
    by many people. The sudden appearance of a menacing looking
    animal, frightened the daylights out of them. Aside from skating, shooting
    is another skill that one will practice to improve physicality in hockey.
    Boot camp workouts have become well-liked amongst both males and
    women simply because you receive to suffer proper along some other individuals while sweating off those calories
    and feeling your muscles burn. Located in a picturesque part of
    town, the household and camp is just 5 minutes from kick arse nightclubs and bars.

Trackbacks

1. [...] of the designers I featured in my What Should I Wear to the BET Awards post very generously reached out to me with the outfits I chose! And I am planning to work with the [...]