Jenifer Lewis is a whole lotta woman. She’s a powerhouse actress, a groundbreaking performer of stage and screen, and a legend who has worked with the best in the business. And I can tell you from personal experience, she gives AMAZING quotes in interviews. I learned that from personal experience when I interviewed her a while back. Click here to read my interview with Jenifer Lewis!
She was pulling no punches then, and in this video that’s been floating around the blogosphere lately, she’s still the same fierce voice of experience and force of nature that she’s always been.
During the press interviews for her latest film, Baggage Claim, Jenifer was asked what advice she would give to aspiring actors who want to get into the business. And she laid every card on the table in a way that only she could. Sit back, strap yourself in, and absorb all of this knowledge. Be forewarned, there’s a smattering of strong language.
Here are the top takeaways.
1. “You have to love what you do with your entire molecular structure. Find your passion. You have to be in it to win it.”
2. “The elevator to success is broken. Take the stairs.” Work hard for your success and it will last.
3. “You can have anything you want. Anything you want, you can have.”
4. “Don’t let life drive you crazy. You drive that ************. It’s yours.”
5. “Look in the mirror and love what you see, or stand there until you love it. If the tears come, let them come. But stand there.”
6. “Don’t think it’s gonna come overnight, it’s NOT. Your job is to do the work. Who am I? Cause if you don’t know who you are in the back of that limousine, it doesn’t matter”.
7. “I’m done, y’all gotta pay me.”
I love a woman who knows her value, knows the power of her voice, and knows what needs to be said. Jenifer is ALL THAT AND THEN SOME, OK? She came to a press conference, preached a word, dropped the mic and walked off stage. It gets no realer.
Can someone give Jenifer Lewis a show? I want to see her in all her wit and wisdom on OWN. Can this happen?